Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,660   Posts: 1,481,543   Online: 1008

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF

Zeiss has new 35mm ZM in the line-up

I just received this information from Zeiss... they have introduced a new ZM 35mm F2.8.

I just thought people might want to know.

"Please be advised, we have introduced the 11th lens in the ZM product family, the C Biogon 2.8/35 ZM. Like the C Biogon 4.5/21 ZM lens, this is a compact design that offers outstanding performance - even at wide open apertures. Like all other Zeiss ZM lenses, it is fully compatible with all M-mount type cameras, both film and digital based.

The new C Biogon 2.8/35 ZM lens is scheduled for delivery in mid-2008."

Then in a second press release they added this information.

"As the latest member of the ZM lens family the C Biogon 2.8/35mm ZM lens is the perfect addition to your light, mobile photo equipment. The Biogon 2,8/35mm will inspire you with perfect images, even at full aperture. Together with the 4,5/21mm, it creates the ideal equipment for a wide range of applications such as documentation and architecture.

The "C" in the title indicates another outstanding featuer: it's compact construction. The symmetrical Biogon construction with 7 elements in 5 groups allows for practically distortion-free images..."

My selling price on the new lens is $817.00, and I'm taking orders.

-Rob
    Rob Skeoch
    This is my blog http://thepicturedesk.blogspot.com/
    This my website for photo supplies...
    www.bigcameraworkshops.com
    This is my website for Rangfinder gear
    www.rangefinderstore.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Rob

What's your impression of the Zeiss Distagon T 4/18 ZM?

Thanks.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Was the f/2 version that big or heavy? This astonishes me. I was thinking that the next 35 would be f/1.4 and compete with the Summilux.
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    i prefer the 35/2 Distagon for SLRs.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I would have thought a 35mm F1.4 would be next on the list so am a bit surprised that they went the other way. I have a 35 F2 myself and find it a great size and a great lens.... I'm sure the new one will be more compact and might be sharper but I haven't noticed a problem with the 35 F2. The new one is a bit less costly but not enough to make a difference in the purchase.
    To gain a stop of light for less than a $100 is a deal in my books.

I haven't used the 18mm that much.... mostly just playing around the studio with it... those that have purchased it seem to love it.

-
    rob
    Rob Skeoch
    www.rangefinderstore.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Rob,

Thanks for the info - I've continued to resist the siren song of M-mount gear (to my wife's and wallet's relief) but always interested to learn about new CZ lenses.

One thought - you might not want to list your price in these posts. Simply gives your competition the info they need to undercut you.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I have the f2 for my M6 and absolutely love the lens. It has a lovely rendition of tones.

It is larger than the summicrons though, perhaps thats why the are introducing this lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sportera View Post
    I have the f2 for my M6 and absolutely love the lens. It has a lovely rendition of tones.

It is larger than the summicrons though, perhaps thats why the are introducing this lens.
    I agree (although the 35 Zm f2 is about the same size as a 50 cron which most use happily!). some feel the existing Zms to be big but I think if that much smaller they compromise handling IMO. I am prepared to accept that under some circumstances (where I need something to slip under a coat unseen) but not others. I think the prices of the slower lenses is unacceptibly high, however and was peeved to note the 21 4.5C going up yet again, while the CV 21 f4 remains unchanged. The 25 2.8 is rather large and this one could do with an f3.5/4 version perhaps but only if there is a substantial saving, which I doubt there would be (if the 21 4.5 is anything to go by). I would like to see some ultra compact lenses, built to great standards. I personally would pay a premium to have a lens as small as the 25/21 P lenses by CV but GUARANTEED not to have the corner problems that so many samples seem to have had (in P or LTM). When this lens performs as it can (as shown by some examples) it really is amazing, but I am put off because I am as likely to get one with soft corners as without. If Zeiss could produce similarly lenses but to higher QC stds I would pay a premium. For example, if they did 'Zeiss Selected' and guaranteed that the duffs were weeded out (or did final assembly separately) I would be one happy bunny as this lens is tiny (used occassionally it would need to vanish into a pocket for me to want tocarry it), suits my purposes and if it was cheaper than the Zeiss 21 4.5 I would go for it. I dont need a 2.8, but also dont need to pay $1000 for an f4.5 lens.....$6/700 would be bearable.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    If you look closely at Carl Zeiss's line of "C" lenses, you'll notice that these are modern versions of its classic Contax lineup:

• f/1.5 50mm Sonnar
    • f/2.8 35mm Biogon
    • f/4.5 21mm Biogon

All of the originals were compact lenses, and so Zeiss is able to cater to two groups: Those looking for compact lenses, as well as those looking for modern-day equivalents of classic Contax glass. And in this case, they get true Zeiss lenses, and not someone else's interpretation of them.

I don't think we'll see a revival of any prewar designs, including the Olympia Sonnar, the f/8.0 28mm Tessar or the 160mm Tele-Tessar.

A re-release of the 85mm Triotar could bring a very good and lower-cost alternative to the f/2.0 85mm Sonnar to the stable. The 85mm Sonnar itself is a recreation of the Contax classic portrait lens.

I would really like to see a 135mm Sonnar, which this camera's rangefinder could easily handle, although rather than the f/4.0 original, perhaps an f/2.8.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I now have the 35mm F2.8 Black in stock.
    -Rob
    Rob Skeoch
    www.rangefinderstore.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin