Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,545   Posts: 1,544,485   Online: 1075

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Canonet 28 Questions (battery and IR use)

I just got a 'new' canonet 28 to live in my glove box and to be a spare camera in less than ideal conditions. I've got a few questions though. I've read a lot about using zinc air batteries, but energizer lists a replacement for the 625 mercury battery, which is 1.5v. Has anyone successfully used these? How is the meter affected? I'm not exited about a zinc/air battery that'll only last a few months.

Also, I'm looking at the camera and seeing the meter just above lens which would be covered by a IR filter, has anyone tried running IR through this camera? With this being a rangefinder, I rather like the idea of being able to focus and compose without taking the filter of and putting it back on over and over.

Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Anyone? Well I'm thinking I'll be selling this camera. I've bought a Minolta AL which should get here this week. The Minolta has more full manual control, and was about the same price as the canonet 28. Any thoughts on this camera?

Peter

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I know many people do this, but it's not a good idea to keep a camera in the glove box. The hot temperatures inside a car -- even in Maine -- can create all sorts of problems related to lubrication melting and seeping into other parts.

The Minolta AL has a nice writeup in Camerapedia. It looks to be the equivalent of other models from that era. It has a fast f/2.0 lens. It looks to be a relatively compact camera. I would expect that you should get some nice photos from it.

It has shutter speeds that run to 1/1000, which is unusual for a leaf shutter.

As always, check the foam seals. The selenium meter might be function and might still be accurate.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin