Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,919   Posts: 1,584,780   Online: 963

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

CV 35/1.4 Nokton Classic SC Review Up

I finally found the time to finish a review on the new CV 35/1.4 Nokton Classic SC. You can find it here:

http://www.cosina-voigtlander.com/content/view/72/28/

I'm currently finishing up a comparison article between the 35 Ultron and 35 Nokton Classic to aid those are looking at a similar decision. I should have it ready within a couple of days.

Shooter
    35mm
    Pricey plastic?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Boyd View Post
    Pricey plastic?
    "Pricey" compared to...?

Nah, the only plastic components are the ap/focus rings and that's a design requirement (needed for the tabs and the tabs are needed due to the compact size of the lens). Everything else is brass & glass. I've had mine (after playing with my friends I sold my ultron and bought this one) for a week or so and adore it so far.

We'll see how it does over time with my abuse.

Shooter
    35mm
    I read your review and was shocked to see that the lens has plastic parts. I also read about Reid's review on the R F forum which didn't have anything good to say about it. By the way, I enjoyed your review. Thank you for posting the link.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Boyd View Post
    I read your review and was shocked to see that the lens has plastic parts.
    I don't have copies but I believe all of the CV pancake designs do the same thing (moulded tabs), i.e. the new 21 and 25 pancakes, the 35 pII, the 40/1.4, and this one. It's not new development.

I also read about Reid's review on the R F forum which didn't have anything good to say about it.
    I did too (I'm banned but still lurk from time-to-time ). Many of the "faults" seem more digital or M8-related. So far I've only shot and processed 2 rolls using my friend's and shot 3 rolls using mine (I'll dev all the rolls tonight or tomorrow), so my thoughts on its performance may evolve. So far I'm impressed by its wide-open sharpness (compared to the Ultron wide open). The bokeh still suffers the same "weirdness" as the 40 Nokton when shot @f1.4 with a close focus point against a busy background full of highlights although the highlights seem slightly more subdued.

By the way, I enjoyed your review. Thank you for posting the link.
    No prob and thanks for the compliment. The Nokton Classic vs. Ultron comparison I'm working on will have some comparison minimum aperture shots with 100% crops to demonstrate my point about the improvement in sharpness.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have the opportunity to buy this lens from my local store at cost, so your review was pretty helpful - I'm leaning towards a yes
    Era Pan is a great film too.
    The Analogue Laboratory, or 'so you built a darkroom in an old factory in the industrial zone'.
    Blog thing!.

Worry less. Photograph more.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleath View Post
    I have the opportunity to buy this lens from my local store at cost, so your review was pretty helpful - I'm leaning towards a yes
    Era Pan is a great film too.
    I don't think you'll regret the decision, especially with a discount like that (I got a similar one). And yeah, ERA100 is a great film, almost like FP4 with it's exposure range.

Shooter
    35mm
    Okay, I finally wrapped up the Ultron vs. Nokton Classic comparision review. It can be found here:

http://www.cosina-voigtlander.com/content/view/73/28/

Now back to my students midterms...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hello,

What is "Reid's Review"?

Thanks,

Jeff M

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Jeff View Post
    Hello,

What is "Reid's Review"?

Thanks,

Jeff M
    http://www.reidreviews.com/reidreviews/

Sean Reid runs a subscription-based review website and has posted a review of the same lens (he will be posting a second review of it later on). Unfortunately, you have to buy a subscription in order to read his reviews.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin