Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,202   Posts: 1,531,618   Online: 1131

Shooter
    Large Format

12mm Voigtlander Heliar question

Does anybody here have any experiences or opinions of this lens worth sharing? I haven't found much on the Internet in the way of reviews and samples. I'd really like to read more opinions and see some sample output from this lens (particularly in black and white). Thanks in advance.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Try it...you might like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lopez View Post
    Does anybody here have any experiences or opinions of this lens worth sharing? I haven't found much on the Internet in the way of reviews and samples. I'd really like to read more opinions and see some sample output from this lens (particularly in black and white). Thanks in advance.
    Spectacular wide angle effect. Moderate vignetting. Lens hood a must. Center sharpness is crisp at about f/8-f/11. Edges less crisp and contrast is so-so. It was too wide for me. I sold it. The 15mm Heliar is cheaper, sharper, smaller, and more contrasty. But if you need the ultimate RF wide angle lens, then you might like the 12. Also, the 12 requires that the camera not be tilted too much, otherwise straight lines become really badly bowed and distracting. I think the 12 is a special optic for very limited use. The photos that I shot of a 9-11 memorial construction obelisk were not acceptable to me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl K View Post
    Spectacular wide angle effect. Moderate vignetting. Lens hood a must. Center sharpness is crisp at about f/8-f/11. Edges less crisp and contrast is so-so. It was too wide for me. I sold it. The 15mm Heliar is cheaper, sharper, smaller, and more contrasty. But if you need the ultimate RF wide angle lens, then you might like the 12. Also, the 12 requires that the camera not be tilted too much, otherwise straight lines become really badly bowed and distracting. I think the 12 is a special optic for very limited use. The photos that I shot of a 9-11 memorial construction obelisk were not acceptable to me.
    I agree. And I also found that I like the 15mm Heliar better.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lopez View Post
    I've used this lens over 5 years and it works wonder. Regardless of the lighting condition, from indoor existence light to outdoor macro under bright sunlight, it always give me excellent results. Make sure the lenshood is placed properly or it will give you dark corners. I originally had it with a Bessa-L but the body wasn't very good mechanically, there was too much noise from the shutter. To solve it, I bought an adapter and now use it on a Leica M3.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I find the lens hard to use, it's just too wide. I still run an occasional film through with it and it's coming with me to NYC.

My 12/5.6 photos

Some of the shots are getting old and I really didn't know much about scanning film back then. Also, a warning to anyone sensitive to color.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin