Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,645   Posts: 1,481,251   Online: 748

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Rangefinder aperture problem.

I've seen a bunch of different posts on various sites regarding this camera but none covered this specific problem.

I just bought a very nice Hi-matic 7s. Its in like new condition, except for one thing. The diaphragm ring for setting the aperture just spins around the lense. The shutter speed ring works fine though. Unfortunetely, the camera is permanently set for completely open aperture. I've tryed finding info on how to take the lense assembly apart, but it looks complicated and I'd hate to destroy such a pretty camera. The ring just slides around like it isn't even linked to the aperture at all.

Is there any way I could still use this camera the way it is? Could I just leave it at a high shutter speed and just use appropriate speed film? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

CrystalClear

Shooter
    35mm

Rangefinder aperture problem.

I accidentely posted this thread in the 35mm section so I've moved it here.

I just bought a very nice Hi-matic 7s. Its in like new condition, except for one thing. The diaphragm ring for setting the aperture just spins around the lense. The shutter speed ring works fine though. Unfortunetely, the camera is permanently set for completely open aperture. I've tryed finding info on how to take the lense assembly apart, but it looks complicated and I'd hate to destroy such a pretty camera. The ring just slides around like it isn't even linked to the aperture at all.

Is it worth repairing,is there any way I could still use this camera the way it is? Could I just leave it at a high shutter speed and just use appropriate speed film? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Shooter
    35mm
    Just realised I posted this question in the wrong section. I went ahead and moved it.

Crystalclear

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'll take a look at my Hi-Matic tomorrow and will be back. BTW, aperture on thsese cameras is not like with SLRs, so if you depress the shooter fast it might not have time to close - try by depressing in two steps with a delay of about 1/4 sec, and you'll see if the aperture is indeed set at 1.8. I'll be back tomorrow after trying to see if the aperture ring does not have a screw somewhere. Do not try to open the lens, as the shooters on these cameras are very complex (like the automatic transmission on cars).
    B&W is silver.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by crystalclear View Post
    I accidentely posted this thread in the 35mm section so I've moved it here.

Is it worth repairing,is there any way I could still use this camera the way it is? Could I just leave it at a high shutter speed and just use appropriate speed film? Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    I note
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Superb-Minolta...QQcmdZViewItem
    that examples of this camera can be had for about £25. I don't know this camera, the problem with yours is almost certainly that a pin which links the aperture to the ring has sheared off. I'm sure it's fixable, it will certainly cost twice what the camera is worth. You could use the camera the way it is, but this would be very inconvenient. Even with ISO 25 film, you would need an exposure of 1/2000 in bright sun and a lot of subjects would need more depth of field than you would get at f1.8. Easiest and cheapest solution - look out for another example of the camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just forgot: did you set an ISO number? If not, the ISO lever might be set on OFF, and in this case aperture will never close down. You find it (if you didn't yet) on the bottom side of the lens.
    B&W is silver.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wrote already two posts where you listed it first, in the 35mm and accessories section.
    B&W is silver.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for your input. I didn't have the ISO set to off. I double checked just to make sure. Your right about getting it fixed. I might be better off just displaying it.

Thanks!

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for your input. I might be better off just displaying it. I've seen a few other hi-matics on ebay that look to be in good condition.

Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I looked at my Hi-Matic 7s, and unfortunately couldn’t find any clue about how to fix your problem. I’m very sorry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin