Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,930   Online: 820

Shooter
    35mm

Is this the right moment to sell a Noctilux?

For a couple of years I was trying to convince a friend to sell me his virgin Noctilux. Last year, I gave up and bought a perfect one from eBay. I'm very happy with it. A few days ago, my friend called me accepting my original (two year old) offer and now I have two Noctis...

Both are keepers but, of course, I have to sell one, my question is: is this the right time to sell this lens?

Prices still are rising and the end of production has been announced, but there is a certain risk of an updated version or some kind of replacement to be announced, in that case, prices may go down...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Leica have just released the final series of this lens. I believe that it comes in a wooden box and costs 10,000 euros! So, if you handy with the carpentry, make a small coffin and get it up for sale ASAP.
    Tony

Shooter
    35mm
    I doubt a new version would cost less. Store them in your safety deposit box until the market is such that a tidy profit can be made.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can't win by speculating in Leica gear, it only keeps up with inflation.

Really.

Turn one into cash.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'd sell it for $7000-$9000.

Shooter
    35mm
    That would buy me a very nice car.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MPandolfo View Post
    Prices still are rising and the end of production has been announced, but there is a certain risk of an updated version or some kind of replacement to be announced, in that case, prices may go down...
    I don't think the price of the current lens will go down. If a new one arrives it will probably be a highly corrected ASPH lens without the glass/aberrations that makes the Noctilux so unique. It will in effect be a faster version of the Summilux 50mm ASPH so only speed junkies will like it. If anything I think the price of the current lens will increase once people realize that the "look" of the old lens isn't being reproduced in the new one (if indeed there is to be a new one).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Someone sold one on auctions here in Japan, Canada made, great condition, for ¥520,000. As of 7/8/08's exchange rate that's $4,886.07.
    Those who know, shoot film

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin