Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,210   Online: 876

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    IIIc with a collapsible Elmar 50/3.5, and from among the following:
    - Jupiter 3 50/1.5 - the most compact really fast lens I know in LTM.
    - CV 35/2.5 Color-Skopar
    - CV or Canon 28/3.5 lenses - for this and the 35, get the CV 28/35 finder - it's wonderful
    - CV 25/4, 21/4 or 15/4.5 depending how wide your taste ranges.

I myself would go with 15/28/50.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by df cardwell View Post
    The 'classic' Leica experience doesn't involve the pleasure of looking through a finder,
    but removing as much camera as possible from between you and the world through which you move.

It is about a single lens for the simple reason that FEW photographers could afford more than a single lens.

It is about adding a camera to your life, not living for your camera.

It is about transforming yourself, not buying a ton of stuff.
    When you can walk a busy street, and with your mind's eye, project a frameline around the scene,
    and set the focus of the camera without looking at it, you're at the beginning of the trip.

df

what you say is very true.

that's great advice.

john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    body
    50mm f/2 lens (Summar, Summitar, or Summicron)
    CLA
    strap
    small bag for camera and film
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    df

what you say is very true.

john
    Just an inoculation to Leica Fever.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Wanted to update the thread... I found and pounced on a 1951 iiiF that's in BEAUTIFUL shape. Far "too pretty to use", were I a collector. Lucky thing I'm a a lowly photog!! Bought the whole kit, including 50/2 summicron, a 90/4 pre-war elmar, a 35 and 85 Jupiter and an aux finder.

I've finally got the film loaded (funny how "knowing how" and "being able to" are two very different things). Looking forward to the first images I've captured with an analog camera in over 24 months.

Somehow just holding the old girl in my hands makes my digital kit seem "soulless". It's a silly notion, as image capture is image capture, but there is definitely something more pure and tactile about the process with this little lady...

Images
    Sounds like you've got a really usable outfit. I hope you will appreciate and use it for a long, long time.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    If the Summicron that came with the camera is original to it, check the glass for yellowing. Summicrons with a SN earlier than about 105xxxx used Thorium. It tends to yellow the glass, but can be sun-bleached out. If you do this, you might also need to relube it. Or just use with B&W and skip the yellow filter!

These Barnack Leica's really grow on you. Fun to use, great little cameras.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    It's slightly yellow, the Elmar noticeably so, but neither is objectionable. I haven't shot with the Jupiters yet, but plan to pull out the 35 this evening. The Elmar was actually serviced at the same time as the recent CLA for the camera body.

Now that I can reliably load the film (!) I actually like burning film through this 'lil lady more than my old standby A1 canon.

Shooter
    35mm
    The 35mm F2.8 Jupiter-12 in LTM will fit on this camera. You can find examples that are new-old-stock on eBay for about $70 plus shipping, less for used ones. It's a real bargain. The next step up is probably a Canon 35/3.5 or 35/2.8 at over $100. The Acall 35 F3.5 is also a good choice if you can find one - about $100. There are a few others (e.g lower spec'ed Komura). The Canon 28/3.5 is an outstanding 28mm lens ($160-$220 or so). The modern CV Skopar Snapshot at 25/4 is also a bargain. Expect to pay about $170 used.

The Russian Turret finders work great, are inexpensive, and even have a limited degree of parallax correction. They cover 28-135mm frames. It is a good match to the Leica IIIc.

There are many choices in 50's. The Summitar 50/2 can be a good deal if you search ($150 plus). The Canon 50/1.8 is also superb for about $120. The Summitar will significantly outperform the Elmar and is about the same price.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by lens_hacker View Post
    If the Summicron that came with the camera is original to it, check the glass for yellowing. Summicrons with a SN earlier than about 105xxxx used Thorium. It tends to yellow the glass, but can be sun-bleached out. If you do this, you might also need to relube it. Or just use with B&W and skip the yellow filter!
    Since posting this, I've tried using a UV light to bleach some of the yellowing out of a Pentax 50/1.4. It looked like it had a positive effect, and does not produce the heat by-product of direct sunlight. Kind of makes sense as Optical Glass absorbs deep UV, and that may be the portion of the spectrum that is doing the trick.

Also- the Canon 50/1.5 in LTM is a bit smaller than a J-3. Fits in the Pouch case of a CL, and does not block the viewfinder of the IIIf.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin