Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,887   Posts: 1,520,695   Online: 1110

Shooter
    35mm RF

Contax used for classic images?

There are a lot of great and famous pictures taken in the past that are considered fine examples of rangefinder photography and Leica photography.

I'm putting together a list of classic images taken with a Contax rangefinder. Im sure some of the top shooters in the golden days must have used a Contax instead of a Leica. Let me know of any of the classics that were taken with a contax.

Thanks for your help.

-Rob
    Rob Skeoch
    This is my blog http://thepicturedesk.blogspot.com/
    This my website for photo supplies...
    www.bigcameraworkshops.com
    This is my website for Rangfinder gear
    www.rangefinderstore.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Robert Capa used a Contax, so any of his images would apply. I like the contrast of "Spanish Soldier" and "Outside the Cafe de Flore", both interesting images, but completely different contexts and feels.

I can't think of any other Contax users off the top of my head...
    i can't wait to take a picture of my thumb with this beautiful camera.

- phirehouse, after buying a camera in the classifieds

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I think there is an informal shot of O'Keeffe and a companion that was taken with a contax by Ansel Adams. There is also a lovely informal of Stieglitz taken with the same camera. Adams wrote that he preferred the Contax to the Leica of the day, but I don't think he elaborated.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ansel definitely used a Contax. Ilse Bing was another that I can think of off the top of my head.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Rob,

Have you read "My Way With the Miniature" by Lancelot Vining? I think he worked for the London "Daily Mirror" in the 1940's.

He has some interesting photos.

I think some Hollywood Stars used Contax also, Tony Curtis is one I think.

I think there is a book called "Shooting Stars" about Hollywood actors and their photos.

Wayne

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Contax was the favorite for action shooting, and low light. In the era of EI 12 film
    and uncoated lenses, the f/1.5 Sonnar opened up the world for Contax shooters.
    Bertele's designs made fast lenses with fewer air-glass surfaces,
    so there was simply more light transmission and less flare.
    There was no other choice.

But as for finding out who shot what, you'll have to start digging through annuals,
    and bound magazines.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Gene Smith used Contax as well as Leica, Walker Evans, though not known for 35mm work also used a Contax.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Many of the Life photographers shot with a Contax, including George Silk, Bill Ray, David E. Scherman,Yale Joel, Hank Walker and others.

And of course it should be remembered that Henri Cartier-Bresson often used a Leica with a screw-mount f/1.5 Zeiss Sonnar.

The f/1.5 Sonnar (prewar or postwar) is one of the finest lenses of all time.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Now that I think about it, the Sonnar is one of the greatest lens designs of all time, regardless of the focal length.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The pre-war F1.5 Sonnar is a great lens. Not too many in LTM. This one did not start out as an LTM lens.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin