Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,566   Posts: 1,545,422   Online: 1051

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Zeiss seems to have positioned itself in a sensible part of the market between the entry-level (but reliable by my experience) Voigtlander Bessas, and the prestige price point of a new Leica. I'll admit I want a Zeiss Ikon, but my R2A gets the job done fine. I haven't had any issues, but I have a 2 year Australian warranty if anything comes up, so I'm not really worried.
    I wouldn't turn down my nose up at the lens offerings from any of them.
    The Analogue Laboratory, or 'so you built a darkroom in an old factory in the industrial zone'.
    Blog thing!.

Worry less. Photograph more.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hoskinson View Post
    I have 2 M3 Leicas
    (a two stroke and a single stroke). I also have a Zeiss Ikon ZM, I love all 3 of these cameras.

I like the build quality of the Zeiss, the performance and high quality of the Zeiss lenses, the Ikon's long base rangefinder and its meter coupled Copal shutter.

I recently read a scathing report by a photojournalist about his experience with multiple field failures, poor build quality and poor reliability of his M-7 Leica and his similar very negative experiences with a M8 Leica.
    I don't know enough about the various Leicas to feel certain that any purchase I make in that arena would be the right one. I am very seriously close to springing for a Zeiss, though.

What do you find to be the main differences between your Leicas and the Zeiss?
    Chris Klug
    -----------
    My photo life story: http://patternsoflightndark.com/wordpress/

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    A used M6 gets my vote. 11 years of stirling service from mine. No complaints at all....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bragg View Post
    A used M6 gets my vote. 11 years of stirling service from mine. No complaints at all....
    As I said before, I love my Leica M3s they both have worked fine for many years (with periodic CLAs).

My Zeiss Ikon is still my personal choice for a TTL metering M mount Rangefinder camera.

I also own and use a Minolta CLE, a Leica CL and several Cosina Voigtlander M mount rangefinder cameras.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Another vote for the G2, I have my gripes but on the whole a fun camera, excellent lenses. I do have concerns about the future of serviceability, but it's cheap enough that you can get a few bodies if you really love it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Ullsmith View Post
    Another vote for the G2, I have my gripes but on the whole a fun camera, excellent lenses. I do have concerns about the future of serviceability, but it's cheap enough that you can get a few bodies if you really love it.
    Rich,

How much is "cheap enough"? I've been monitoring auctions of G2 bodies, and it seems that the going rate is usually over $500 for used bodies. And it seems like prices are rising recently!

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hoskinson View Post
    I have 2 M3 Leicas
    (a two stroke and a single stroke). I also have a Zeiss Ikon ZM, I love all 3 of these cameras.

I like the build quality of the Zeiss, the performance and high quality of the Zeiss lenses, the Ikon's long base rangefinder and its meter coupled Copal shutter.

I recently read a scathing report by a photojournalist about his experience with multiple field failures, poor build quality and poor reliability of his M-7 Leica and his similar very negative experiences with a M8 Leica.
    Tom could it be that the M7 has a electric shutter and the M8 isn't even a M series camera it is a point and shoot as far as I'm concerned. I have read reports on pre M7's having been completely drenched in water and let to dry out and fuctioned perfectly for the next 7 years. His Nikon didn't weather as well.

Michael Andersen
    "Capturing an image is only one step of the long chain of events to create a beautiful Photograph” See my updated website: mandersenphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am happy M3 user but if AE is a big thing for you, the Voightlander R2a if you are after cheap and cheerful and the Zeiss Ikon M if you want to spend more money. That's pretty much it out there.
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by michael9793 View Post
    and the M8 isn't even a M series camera it is a point and shoot as far as I'm concerned.
    Michael Andersen
    Why would you say that?
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by white.elephant View Post
    I assume you have personal experience with each of these? I'm at the point of decision between the Bessa and the Ikon. This would be my first rangefinder, so the issue is the risk of the price. Both seem relatively easy to re-sell if I found RFs untenable for some reason.

But the Ikon's rep seems more solid.

Yes, I've used all three, as well as a Leica LTM and an M6 (sold the M6 quite some time ago and still have a IIIf) and a number of other cameras.

If you're simply testing the waters, I'd probably go the Cosina Voigtlander Bessa route. It's less outlay of cash, and they're reasonably easy to resell.

But it's probably the camera that will hold its value the least, unless you buy used. If you buy used, you won't lose much on the resale of a Cosina Voigtlander Bessa.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin