Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,470   Posts: 1,570,912   Online: 902

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapper View Post
    I object to the Bessa being referred to as 'cheap and cheerful'!!! It's certainly not 'cheap' - around £400 for a R2a - and it's not cheerful - the R2A has a very solid, metal body and does everything an M7 or Zeiss ZM does. It's all about what you put on the front of it.
    You hit the nail on the head- it is all about the glass and if one is going to buy budget glass then don't couple it to a Leica M camera, you are wasting your money. There is nothing at all wrong with Voigtlander bodies and optics, what are the alternatives for someone buying into rangefinder on a budget?

I think, from what you feel you require, I would look for a mint condition SLR- Nikon FM3a and stick some good Nikkor glass onto it. it is about the same size but lighter than an M7 and, unlike Voigtlander, you will not loose on your investment
    "Sharpness is a Bourgeois Concept"-H.Cartier-Bresson

Regards Kenneth

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Lets face it, they all just hold the film and lens so to get a exposure (like a pinhole camera).
    But to own a leica there is nowthing like it. the only other two cameras in my 40 years of photographing I wanted was a 8x10 deardorff and a hassy 500c/m.......... I now have all three checked off my buck list.

mike a
    "Capturing an image is only one step of the long chain of events to create a beautiful Photograph” See my updated website: mandersenphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kennethcooke View Post
    You hit the nail on the head- it is all about the glass and if one is going to buy budget glass then don't couple it to a Leica M camera, you are wasting your money. There is nothing at all wrong with Voigtlander bodies and optics, what are the alternatives for someone buying into rangefinder on a budget?
    Why is that so? You can buy a new R2 or R3 for 570€ or a used M4, -2, -P for around 650-700€. Someone here noted that the Leica would keep its value but you'd loose money on the Cosina Voigtlander. So I reason that the Leica M4 vould be the financially best "investment". If I lack the funds to buy a used Leica 35mm, >800€? I could start out with a CV35mm f/2,5 for 330€
    Thats a total of approx 980€ most of which I should be able to get back when/if selling the M4. I have no experience in RF's whatsoever but if I where looking to get into them thats about how Ill do it. If it catches I would get the Leitz lenses.
    BTW aren't the CV lenses quite good?

Quote Originally Posted by kennethcooke View Post
    I think, from what you feel you require, I would look for a mint condition SLR- Nikon FM3a and stick some good Nikkor glass onto it. it is about the same size but lighter than an M7 and, unlike Voigtlander, you will not loose on your investment
    Very true but if the OP wants to get into the RF world an SLR wont quite do it for him
    But if one should follow up on your suggestion Id say get some Zeiss glass for the Nikon.
    Kind regards
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Leica M1. Duh! What for you need all this whatnots an gizzmos?
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Only thing I like more than an M7 is my MP.
    DIGITAL IS FOR THOSE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I have two M7's with Motor M's. They are both 100% reliable, no quality issues.
    There simply is no other 35mm rangefinder that is better than the M7. My M3 and M6 Classic just sit. -Dick

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hello,

The only "apples-to-apples" alternative (M mount, A priority, TTL flash) is the Minolta CLE. Great camera at a decent price (between $450 and $900 depending on condition and seller). It's not the camera I'd recommend as a first or only M mount camera, but it IS the ONLY M mount I'm aware of with all the features of the M7. I keep reading the board in them is unreliable, but I carted one all over Afghanistan and it still shoots like it's new. If I were buying another RF anytime soon, it would be another CLE.

The CLE will not take a motor and will not meter in manual, so there are differences - including build quality, but you get what you pay for (this is a thread about cheaper alternatives, right?).

One you might consider as well is the Konica. They seem to be well made and are selling for a decent price on the used market. Probably a few new ones out there if you look around. I'd buy a Konica RF if I stumbled across one.

Jeff M

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin