Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,933   Posts: 1,585,486   Online: 893

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I like the long time shutter dial of M5. I don't know why they eliminated it with M6 and on.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    re: M5s. I have a funny story. I walk in to Samy's Camera in L.A. It's the biggest camera store in these parts. I go up to the Leica area to get a lens cap for my IIIc. There is a used M5 sitting there. I ask to see it. The salesperson says: "Why? It is a useless camera." I laughed in his face and said "Cameras aren't useless. Only photographers." To his credit, he lightened up and let me see the camera.

Personally, I think the M5 would be a very useful camera for much of what I shoot. I just don't understand why, since they are so "hated", that they cost more than an M2, M3, or M4, which people rave about.

Congrats on your camera. Use it and use it well (so I am not proven wrong by the weirdo salesperson at Samy's!)
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    Personally, I think the M5 would be a very useful camera for much of what I shoot. I just don't understand why, since they are so "hated", that they cost more than an M2, M3, or M4, which people rave about.
    The M5 has been the pariah of the line since it was introduced, and I guess its failure on the market put the company into deep stress. This is really weird, because it is a great camera. It was my entré into the Leica system during the '70's when it was new; a dealer lent me one for a month or so, and I immediately understood what a hungry monster it was. I had to settle for an M4, though, because I got a deal on it, and an M2, both of which I used heavily for editorial work. I'm back to the M5 now, although I use an M2 also.

It has not been my experience that the M5 costs more; seems to me the prices are still lower, quality for quality. My buddy at Glazer's (big camera store in Seattle) confirmed this a couple of months ago when I asked; he's their Leica guy. The prices used to be ridiculously low, but they've come up. I think that more people are beginning to catch on to what a superb camera it is. The objections people have to it seem to center on its weight and shape. True, the other design -- M2, 3, 4, 6, etc. -- is delightful, but I don't mind the more boxy shape. The meter and the superb mechanical shutter system are as good as it gets.

I would suspect that eventually, the M5 WILL cost more, since fewer were made due to its short production life.

If I come into a pile of money, I'll be looking for a second M5 body.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rose View Post
    I've been using my M5 almost exclusively for the past several months. Having been a news photog and fashion shooter years ago I can see why the wizards at Leica designed the M5 the way they did. IMHO the design is far superior to the other M's for professional shooting. At least in those arenas anyway. I can change the shutter speed and f-stops without having to take the camera away from my eye or move my right hand away from it's normal shooting position and the spot meter is deadly accurate. I even like the 2 lug design I have because when I have the camera either around my neck or over my shoulder it doesn"t swing the way a normal lug design does. I realize most M users are hobbyists so speed isn't a major thing for them, but the M5 is a very fast and intuitive camera to use. If I had to go with another M design I suppose it would be the M-4P.
    I am a total hobbyist but what I like about Leicas is the simple and sturdy design, ideal for intuitive photography. So far my favorite camera is the M4-P (I have sold an MP in favor for the M4-P) and I just added a M5 for the spot-meter, 2 lug design, and large shutter speed wheel.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    The M5 was "hated" by Leica purists because it didn't look like a traditional M camera and because it was "too big". Its sales were low in part because of that and because Leica had the CL on the market at the same time. The CL was smaller, had the same spot meter and continuously variable shutter speed on a similar dial setup, was built to a lower price point, and stole a very large part of the M5 market. The CL even has the same one-side strap lug set up. Low sales and production of the M5 make it rare, so the collectors value is rising relative to other M's. People are also finally realizing it's an ergonomically brilliant shooter's camera even if it's different from other M's. When the M4-P came out, Leica had dropped both the CL and M5, so it wasn't competing with a cheaper body and it "looked like a Leica", so sales rose again.

Lee

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Apparently the M5 is an either "love it" or "hate it" camera.

The friend I bought my first M, an M3 from recommended I try an M5. It was love at first site. I had been shooting Nikons so although it took some getting used to in order to shoot the M3 intuitively, the M5 immediately felt right. Also, the in-frame metering felt much like the FM I had begun on as a student years prior.

Probably most important to me though, was that the three lug version I own has frames for 28mm, which is what I shoot most of the time.

Needless to say, I am one of the "love it" M shooters.

Jeff M

Shooter
    Large Format
    I once had an M5 and and M6. I liked the M5 a lot more to photograph with. Great metering system, beautiful camera. In my opinion the best camera Leica ever made, the ultimate M.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Bunnik View Post
    I liked the M5 a lot more to photograph with. Great metering system, beautiful camera. In my opinion the best camera Leica ever made, the ultimate M.
    I'd agree with all of that, completely. It is a wonderful compliment to my M2, which I tend to use more for "sunny 16" photography. The M5's spot meter is truely amazing, and control layout, intuitive handling, user-friendliness, is the best I have ever used, period. And I've used a lot.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin