Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,008   Posts: 1,524,609   Online: 1052

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

My New Leica M-5!

I just won this three-lug chrome M-5, from the same dealer from whom I bought my M-2. It's going to need a new skin, and a CRIS adapter. What do you guys think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...2BSI%26otn%3D4

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wonderful camera. well done.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Can't look at it because I'm at my daughter's house and the kid blockage on their internet gate won't let me get to ebay. Would have liked to take a look. Son in law runs the servers for a major hospital, and he gets carried away.

I got my M5 on ebay also, and while it is in wonderful amazing condition cosmetically, I suspect it sat on the shelf for a long, long time. The slow speeds seem right on, but the high speeds are out of balance. It is a good thing to check for this before committing film. It shows up if you view the film plane with the back off, and the lens off, going through the high speeds while holding it up against something like open sky. One side will appear darker if the problem is there, and it gets worse the faster the speed. This is not just a Leica problem; any camera with the old cloth focal plane shutter can develop it and we are seeing lots of issues like this since those cameras are not getting any newer. It would be a very unusual seller who would know to check for this, or maybe who would want to check for it.

Since your camera needs skin and (is CRIS a battery modification? I don't know the term) anyway a CLA will repair this problem, and you may not have it anyway. I just figure that if you get a good deal on a wonderful camera, having to have service done on it is a reasonable thing to expect.

The M5 is a fabulous camera, in many respects possibly the best they ever made, at least for those of us who like mechanical shutters, a really great meter, and a great weapon to hit a mugger with. It was where I started with leica (a loaner) and I've been partial to it ever since, even though I like the others too.

Congratulations!! and enjoy it. I know you will.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Here it is......

My new M5, with my favorite Canon F1.2 Lens:
    Last edited by Nokton48; 08-30-2009 at 09:35 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I've been using my M5 almost exclusively for the past several months. Having been a news photog and fashion shooter years ago I can see why the wizards at Leica designed the M5 the way they did. IMHO the design is far superior to the other M's for professional shooting. At least in those arenas anyway. I can change the shutter speed and f-stops without having to take the camera away from my eye or move my right hand away from it's normal shooting position and the spot meter is deadly accurate. I even like the 2 lug design I have because when I have the camera either around my neck or over my shoulder it doesn"t swing the way a normal lug design does. I realize most M users are hobbyists so speed isn't a major thing for them, but the M5 is a very fast and intuitive camera to use. If I had to go with another M design I suppose it would be the M-4P.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bowzart View Post
    Can't look at it because I'm at my daughter's house and the kid blockage on their internet gate won't let me get to ebay. Would have liked to take a look. Son in law runs the servers for a major hospital, and he gets carried away.

I got my M5 on ebay also, and while it is in wonderful amazing condition cosmetically, I suspect it sat on the shelf for a long, long time. The slow speeds seem right on, but the high speeds are out of balance. It is a good thing to check for this before committing film. It shows up if you view the film plane with the back off, and the lens off, going through the high speeds while holding it up against something like open sky. One side will appear darker if the problem is there, and it gets worse the faster the speed. This is not just a Leica problem; any camera with the old cloth focal plane shutter can develop it and we are seeing lots of issues like this since those cameras are not getting any newer. It would be a very unusual seller who would know to check for this, or maybe who would want to check for it.

Since your camera needs skin and (is CRIS a battery modification? I don't know the term) anyway a CLA will repair this problem, and you may not have it anyway. I just figure that if you get a good deal on a wonderful camera, having to have service done on it is a reasonable thing to expect.

The M5 is a fabulous camera, in many respects possibly the best they ever made, at least for those of us who like mechanical shutters, a really great meter, and a great weapon to hit a mugger with. It was where I started with leica (a loaner) and I've been partial to it ever since, even though I like the others too.

Congratulations!! and enjoy it. I know you will.
    A CRIS adapter allows you to use a Silver Oxide battery instead of the M5's original Mercury battery.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hoskinson View Post
    A CRIS adapter allows you to use a Silver Oxide battery instead of the M5's original Mercury battery.
    I've been happy with the Wein cell. Are there any advantages of the CRIS adapter, other than, possibly, ease in obtaining the batteries?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I use hearing aid batteries. To set the asa I just meter something with my Sekonic. Say it says f16 at 1/250 for 400 asa. I then set the f stop and shutter speed on the camera and then adjust the asa dial until the meter needles line up. Works like a charm. Typically the asa ends up being set to 1/2 of the rated asa. ie 400 asa film is dialed in at 200 asa on the camera. ymmv.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rose View Post
    I use hearing aid batteries. To set the asa I just meter something with my Sekonic. Say it says f16 at 1/250 for 400 asa. I then set the f stop and shutter speed on the camera and then adjust the asa dial until the meter needles line up. Works like a charm. Typically the asa ends up being set to 1/2 of the rated asa. ie 400 asa film is dialed in at 200 asa on the camera. ymmv.
    Great idea. I don't think I'll do it, although I like things like this. I have a feeling that when I change films, I'd forget sometimes, and underexpose everything. If I only used one film/developer combination, it would be great, but I not only change films, but developers too. So, the fewer other things I need to remember the better.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I only use two b&w films in 35mm, APX 100 and Classic Pan 400. Both souped in D-76. The nice thing is I can develop them together as they take the same development time. Bonus!
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin