Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,871   Posts: 1,583,394   Online: 1102

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Olympus 35 UC - lens haze ... how bad is this?

I was lucky enough to be given an Olympus 35 UC yesterday.

Here are two TTL images I managed to take:

As you can see there's what appears to be haze on the left side. I don't have the right tool to open it up right now. I'm wondering, how much you do think that spot of haze will affect photos I take?
    Those who know, shoot film

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Best to try with film. It does not look too bad from the image, put a hood on the lens and shoot a roll.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the response. I didn't get a hood but I tried the camera anyway: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nagoya_...7606199071526/ it seems to be okay. I'm just about to go on vacation so I'll either look for a hood there, or wait until I come back.
    Those who know, shoot film

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The "haze" is reiminscent of fungal growth that I've seen on an old Canon FD 50mm, starting at the edges and working its way inward or around the lens. From the image it looks like that. Stopping down the lens about 3 f/ below open will concentrate light through the central axis, thereby "missing" the haze/growth, but a 'fuzzy' corner may still appear. Strip the lens for a "Spring clean".
    “The photographer must determine how he wants the finished print to look before he exposes the negative.
    Before releasing the shutter, he must seek 'the flame of recognition,' a sense that the picture would reveal
    the greater mystery of things...more clearly than the eyes see."
    ~Edward Weston, 1922.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Based on your shots with the reflection of the sun going straight into the lens, just use it!

Shots look sharp. The small aura around the sun reflections are typical of most single-coated lenses. As with most coating marks, small scratches, and light haze, the actual effects on film are minimal.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin