Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,536,012   Online: 1054
      
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Lowenburg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Stroudsburg, PA, USA
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Posts
    52

    Defogging Canonet Rangefinder

    I just bought a really cute Canonet in nice condition except for the rangefinder being a bit foggy. I have no reservations about disassembling it but would feel better if someone out there who has done it can post up some general directions.

    The light seals on this camera are also going to need replacement but I already found another thread that deals with that...so thanks to anyone who contributed to it.

    Finally, does anyone have battery recommendations for this camera? I'm sure the original batteries manufactured for it are no longer available, so what would be the modern equivalent?

    Thanks!
    Bill

  2. #2
    AshenLight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Northeastern MA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    156
    The currently (no pun intended) available replacement battery for the Canonet GIII 17 and 19 is the Z625PX zinc-air battery. You should be able to find these online. There is a good amount of information about all Canon rangefinders at:

    http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...=37&order=desc


    Hope this helps,

    Ash

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    196
    Images
    3
    Good suggestion about going over to rangefinderforum.com. They're a good group of people with a lot of knowledge.

    I found instructions for removing the top plate there a year or so ago. It was pretty straightforward and some gentle cleaning of the inside glass surfaces made a world of difference. Good luck!
    "Technology is a big destroyer of emotion and truth. Opportunity doesn't do anything for creativity. Yeah, it makes it easier and you can get home sooner, but it doesn't make you a more creative person. That's the disease you have to fight in any creative field.. ease of use." - Jack White

  4. #4
    DBP
    DBP is offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,883
    Images
    34
    There is a good diagram on Rick Oleson's site http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-30.html.

    As for the battery, the Canonet has a voltage stabilization circuit, so a plain old silver or even alkaline battery will work.

  5. #5
    dmr
    dmr is offline
    dmr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    493
    Quote Originally Posted by DBP View Post
    As for the battery, the Canonet has a voltage stabilization circuit, so a plain old silver or even alkaline battery will work.
    Uh, ummmm ... if you've got the QL17 GIII it does not. It's a basic series circuit and very dependent on voltage. I can post a simplified schematic if anybody needs it.

    The commonly available battery will run "hot" and tend toward underexposure.

    I've been able to recalibrate the GIII to handle both the new batteries and 1600 film, but it's not something I would recommend unless you really want it.

  6. #6
    DBP
    DBP is offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,883
    Images
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by dmr View Post
    Uh, ummmm ... if you've got the QL17 GIII it does not. It's a basic series circuit and very dependent on voltage. I can post a simplified schematic if anybody needs it.

    The commonly available battery will run "hot" and tend toward underexposure.

    I've been able to recalibrate the GIII to handle both the new batteries and 1600 film, but it's not something I would recommend unless you really want it.
    Apparently I was misinformed in this thread here http://www.apug.org/forums/forum65/1...ion-twist.html. But I have taken many pictures with mine over the years with a plain alkaline battery and no problem.

  7. #7
    dmr
    dmr is offline
    dmr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    493
    Quote Originally Posted by DBP View Post
    Apparently I was misinformed in this thread here http://www.apug.org/forums/forum65/1...ion-twist.html. But I have taken many pictures with mine over the years with a plain alkaline battery and no problem.
    Actually, I have two cameras, the black GIII and the Mamiya SD, which have never been recalibrated. Both are well within the margin of error for color negative film with the "wrong" batteries. I just have to watch things when shooting slide film.

  8. #8
    dmr
    dmr is offline
    dmr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    493
    Here's a simplified schematic of the QL17 GIII.



    Most of the messy stuff has to do with the Canolite flash unit. Highlighted is the current path for the meter, which is easy to see as a series circuit. No voltage regulation at all.



 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin