Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,693   Posts: 1,482,430   Online: 776

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Thread compatability: Leitz/Contax?

I'm looking at a 55mm Leitz filter for my Contax G2 21mm lens. Are these threads compatable? When I say "I'm looking," I mean shopping online and I can't even see if the filter is threaded or bayonet. Thanks up front for the help.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Pretty sure it's threaded.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    One reason I ask is that a friend of mine gave me a load of Leica SLR stuff (not kidding) and the filters are held in by the lens shade. The one I am looking at appears to have a thick enough flange to be threaded, but I can't be sure. I asked the seller a question, but am waiting for a response.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Contax G stuff is modern, so you'll have threaded filter rings and not any of that series filter stuff -- that's the big pain in the a** in using my old Leicaflexes and lenses, though they're great otherwise. By the time E. Leitz was using 55mm filters they'd moved beyond the series filters and to "normal" filters. And I'm about dead certain that the Contax lens threading will be fully compatible with the Leitz filter.

(Somebody GAVE you Leica SLR equipment? Lucky dog! Anything you, uh, don't need?)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Nick, I did go back and look, and I really think it is threaded.

The deal with the free Leica stuff is a story I'll tell sometime. I'll probably auction the stuff for charity after he passes, as it was clear he really wanted me to have the stuff, and I didn't have the heart to tell him that I really don't need it. I'm talking about a sedan trunkload of stuff. It was a weird little philisophical dilemma. Later, he dropped some stuff off with my wife, a bunch of worthless darkroom stuff but he told my wife it was his fathers and he was a little weepy about it. It's not like he has a terminal disease; he's just going digital (!?!) I drop him a print a few times a year and tell him how great his stuff works (as I'm sure it does) and he is happy as hell about it.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin