Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,837   Posts: 1,582,466   Online: 741

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras

Why don't zeiss manufacture cameras themselves?

I'm just curious to know why zeiss don't manufacture cameras themselves.
    I realise they are primarily an optics company but it seems as though they prefer to design the cameras and contract out manufacturing and assembly to someone else. Why is that do you think?

JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Cost, I think. Zeiss don't have a camera factory, and it would cost a lot to start one and make new tools. Cosina already have their factories.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Doesn't Cosina make their lenses too?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by matt miller View Post
    Doesn't Cosina make their lenses too?

Some, not all!

André

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Yes the ZM 15 and 85 are made in Germany but is not clear to me whether Zeiss make all the glass and Cosina make the barrels and assemble them or whether cosina also make the glass for the other lenses.

I just found some more info on the zeiss web site which basically says Consina already the facilities to bring the camera to market quickly which I think is the Zeiss way of saying they didn't want to invest in their own manufacturing plant for camera bodies.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Zeiss used to manufacture their own cameras. My Zeiss Contax IIa was made in Germany during the late 1950's. Pics are in the classified section, if anyone is interested.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You've made me wonder how nice it would be if Cosina started making a new Contax/Yashica SLR camera. Something like the 139Q or S2b but cheaper would suffice. Maybe the Bessaflex could be a good starting piont? Sadly, competition from used bodies probably makes this impossible.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Zeiss still has an existing contract with Kyocera so at present I think Zeiss are not free to use the Contax name. I suspect that is one reason why the Zeiss Ikon came into being.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Let's not forget that Zeiss from the very beggining, was mainly a manufacturer of high precision optical devices, and that's the field they should keep working hard.

André

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    zeiss makes a lot of cool stuff, from planetariums to operating microscopes and research optical instruments, and ... stuff.

they left the camera building behind long ago to concentrate on the things they were uniquely good at.

( zeiss has ALWAYS licensed the manufacture of their designs, to their specs, and often using their machines, glass, and QC personnel )

CZ has done a very good job over the years keeping their 'production capacity' to a minimum while make excellent goods, and being a healthy firm for it's employees.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin