Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,468   Posts: 1,570,833   Online: 1066

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rob champagne View Post
    Ok let me put the question another way. If I wanted the best possible image resolution and sharpness from 35mm film, which 35mm film camera and lenses would you recommend and why.
    Contax G2 shooting the 45/2, and here's why. This also happens to be a very compact and inexpensive system.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've seen people shoot with leica rangefinders that (I felt) my contax slr has out-performed and I've paid half the price. I also like having the option of really good bokea from my 35 f1.4, 50 f1.4 and 100 f2 along with the fact that you can use extension tubes to take macro or vignette photos of needed. The versatility is always there and even though these are high-end ziess lenses, they're still half the price. It depends how well you use them. If you're thinking of doing more landscape-type stuff you can always consider a higher format, but it will obviously be heavier.
    What it boils down to (I think) is budget, what you're willing to carry and your style. If I were 45 and had back problems and liked to shoot 5x7 prints for albums I'd go with a rangefinder. However, I love to experiment, I'm 24, semi-strong, have the stamina to lug lots of stuff around, do all my developing and printing myself, shoot all kinds of things with all different styles and make all sizes of prints. Although, if I had the money, I'd buy a rangefinder in a second for the convenience when it's needed.
    I dunno if this helps at all. It felt more like a rambling than an informative statement.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I'm 44 with back and knee problems. I pack an 8X10 all the time in the desert and cary a Leica around the city. Maybe I am doing it backwards.
    DIGITAL IS FOR THOSE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jordanstarr View Post
    ... If I were 45 and had back problems and liked to shoot 5x7 prints for albums I'd go with a rangefinder. ...
    I'm 46, have back problems, and like to shoot 5x7" for albumen prints. I shoot LF, except when I decide to take a rangefinder 35mm - or a 4x5" - or when I decide to "travel light" with only MF. I often bring a MF camera with me anyway, just as a backup.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ok let me put the question another way. If I wanted the best possible image resolution and sharpness from 35mm film, which 35mm film camera and lenses would you recommend and why.
    It is ALL up to the Operator.

Your eye is more important than your gear, Edw. Weston proved that decades ago. I'd lean toward new Leica rfdr stuff myself, but stopping down to f/8 or f/11 will tend to throw away the advantages you've just paid thousands of pounds to acquire. Stop down to f/16, and it really doesn't matter what you use, diffraction is killing the image anyway.

Developers and immaculate technique are important, and then there is the enlarger. A great enlarger and poor camera always makes better images than a bad enlarger and perfect camera.

What are you using ? What works well for you ? Have you wrung all the potential from it ? Or are you looking for magic ?

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Lets not presume we know the reason for the question. Just because I ask about one particular aspect of a camera/lens system doesn't mean thats all I'm interested in about the system. It just meanss thats what I would like to know about at this time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Bellayr View Post
    Leica M7 with the newest aspherical lenses. But, that would be "prohibitively costly"? Another way to go would be the M6 (M7) with the previous series of lenses. The benefit there is cost and size/weight. I believe they are a little smaller and lighter. Another series of lenses are the Zeiss Biogons. On that point you would need to compare each lens as per quality, weight, size, & cost. That would be a lot of homework but worth it.
    Or, as suggested in a earlier post, replace the 35mm with an 8x10.

I shoot 8x10 with a Schneider Super Symmar XL Aspheric 150mm/5.6, and I shoot a 6cm x 7cm Mamiya 7ii. My 7ii Mamiya WA lenses are Biogon type designs and the 80mm is a Planar type design, they all produce superb images.

To be sure, I still shoot with my M series Leica Rangefinders and my ZM Zeiss M mount rangefinder.
    Last edited by Tom Hoskinson; 08-01-2008 at 07:17 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Grammar
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Lets not presume we know the reason for the question. Just because I ask about one particular aspect of a camera/lens system doesn't mean thats all I'm interested in about the system. It just meanss thats what I would like to know about at this time.
    Context is helpful to establish a meaningful answer. Photography is a system, changing one component has little influence on the outcome.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Photodo tests will give info on resolution:

http://www.photodo.com/products.html

Falkland Islands: not any more now I'm in Lincolnshire UK
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Does the "art" of making pictures rely on the sharpness (or whatever) of the lens, or on the mind of the photographer? I use quite good equipment and scan the negs, I don't care if I have the ultimate in "quality" but I definitely like the pictures that I produce.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin