Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,966   Posts: 1,558,430   Online: 960

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Ok as I'm not going to get a straight answer I will say that I am looking for a camera system which will equal or better my contax system. But it must have some attributes which I require. Specifically it must me quiet and very portable. I'm specifically not looking for a medium format or larger format camera. Therefore it's going to be 35mm and either an slr (which I don't think I will get anything better than my contax system in terms of lens quality) or a range finder. So if its a range finder, then for the expense of going that route, am I going to see an improvement in image quality for short to 85mm lenses?
    I know there will be other benefits for people photography in low light and bokeh, but will there be benefits when I'm using it for landscape photography? That might make the difference between me staying with my contax system or not? There is plenty of fast glass available for the contax for low light photography ( some of which I already have ). So back to my original question. Will I see a difference with a rangefinder on a tripod when shooting expansive landscapes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't know a straighter answer than my previous one, but since you emphasize landscape, I will just add that polarizers, while they can be used, are a little tricky on RFs and graduated filters are just left to guesswork and are a pain on RFs.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You might consider a different Contax. I have a Contax IIa in the classifieds (completely restored). The wides, in particular, are some of the finest lenses ever made. And the 85mm f/2 Zeiss Jena Sonnar is astonishigly sharp with very nice bokeh. Quiet, too. No mirror, just a click with the shutter. Not as quiet as my Mamiya 7, but it's pretty darn quiet.

Lot of comments on lens designs. SLR lens design does constrain designers because of the need to clear the mirror. RF lens designers have fewer constraints.
    Last edited by Robert Budding; 08-02-2008 at 01:17 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: add a bit

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Quote Originally Posted by Anupam Basu View Post
    I don't know a straighter answer than my previous one, but since you emphasize landscape, I will just add that polarizers, while they can be used, are a little tricky on RFs and graduated filters are just left to guesswork and are a pain on RFs.
    I do nearly all B+W and avoid filters if possible. Maybe an occasional yellow or orange. Never even tried a polariser with B+W, let alone a grad.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rob champagne View Post
    So back to my original question. Will I see a difference with a rangefinder on a tripod when shooting expansive landscapes.
    No, especially if you are using a camera with mirror take-up and a tripod.

Tim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Difficult to quantify I know but how much difference in image resolution and sharpness would you expect to see when moving from a high quality 35mm slr system to a high quality rangefinder system. I'm thinking specifically of comparing contax/zeiss to zeiss ikon/zeiss image quality. Perhaps in terms of how much extra enlargement you could get out of the rangefinder before noticeable degradation of image quality compared to the slr.

I fully realise there are many other factors to consider about the differences and use of the two systems and what they are best at doing, but for this specific question assume expansive landscape images and cameras on tripods.
    Will the rangefinder give noticeably better quality images at say 12 times enlargement.
    For landscape work, I use an 8x10 view camera;
    Also 6cm x 7cm and 6cm x 9cm (both RF and view cameras); with equivalent quality lenses I don't see a difference in image quality between RF and View.

I have a collection of 35mm Kyocera/Contax cameras and lenses. I also have M series Leica rangefinder cameras and Leitz lenses and a Zeiss ZM rangefinder plus several M mount Zeiss lenses. My favorite 35mm landscape image (a 20" x 30" color print) was one printed from a slide I made on Fuji Velvia 50 with my Single Stroke Leica M3, plus my Visoflex mounted 65mm Leitz Canada Elmar.

The camera was on a tripod with the Visoflex Mirror in the Up Position. I have made pictures of equivalent quality with the same 65mm Leitz Canada Elmar mounted on a Contax SLR with the mirror locked up.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Lots of info on rangefinder cameras here:

http://www.cameraquest.com/classics.htm

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    So you want an answer?

But why not a question first? Why not MF?

A Mamiya 7II outfit with body and three or four lenses does not weigh much more or take up a lot more space than a Leica M camera with the same number of lenses. And will probably cost less as well.

Yet, in terms of image quality there is no comparison. A Mamiya 7II outfit will blow your Contax system out of the water in any print size over about 5X7.

So, why so tied to 35mm if you really want more image quality?

Sandy King

Ok as I'm not going to get a straight answer I will say that I am looking for a camera system which will equal or better my contax system. But it must have some attributes which I require. Specifically it must me quiet and very portable. I'm specifically not looking for a medium format or larger format camera.
    Last edited by sanking; 08-02-2008 at 11:38 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    It never ceases to amaze me that even though you say specifically that you don't want medium format or bigger, that some people just can't help theselves and tell you medium format is better. The really funny thing is that large format is way better than medium format, if you are good enough to extract what it's capable of (many aren't), and yet those same people try and tell you that medium format is as good as large format. Of course if they are going to adopt that mentality, then you would expect them to also think that 35mm is as good as medium format, but they don't.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I don't think that you will see a much of a difference if at all if you persist in sticking to 35mm. It wouldn't be worth the effort if it were me.

---

It is tiring to pursue ultimate sharpness and limit the format size at the same time. As for me, to simply my life, it is 4X5 or 5X7 (enlarged if necessary) for landscapes, architectual stuff, and historical documentation where detail is important and 35mm for everything else.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin