Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,160   Online: 1059

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Anybody know anything about Mark Hama?

I've had a Nicca 3S in for CLA/repair for about 5 months and can't get an email response and his mailbox is full on his voice mail. I hope this means he is on an extended vacation. Anybody heard from him lately? I had some communications early on, however it has been several month since I've heard from him. Bill Barber

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I wish I could say I was surprised. I had some work done by Mark on a Canon L-1 and a Leica IIIa a couple of years ago, and I had the same experience -- no contact for several months, no response to e-mails. I finally had to get really direct with him in order to get response. The repairs were completed, I should note, and the cameras do work fine, as far as I can determine. But the experience was off-putting, and not something I'd care to repeat. Besides, I just can't understand people who refuse to communicate when just a few words would do. I think most of us are reasonable and willing to wait for quality service, but I'd also bet most of us dislike being gratuitously ignored. I know I sure do, especially when I'm paying for something.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, I'm glad I didn't choose to have him repair my Ricohflex! It's kind of wrong that he just fell off the face of the earth for 5 months.

I emailed him a few days ago about my Ricohflex and never got a reply. I do hope you hear from him soon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just heard from him and my Nicca will be winging its way to me on Monday. I look forward to getting it. I have plenty of cameras and not having this one was not an real problem, other than the spotty communications. Bill Barber

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hello,

Let's get one thing straight.

Mark Hama is one of the best repairmen in the business.

For some cameras out there, he is the ONLY repairman in the business. That keeps him a bit busy.

He isn't good about email - that's true for lots of repairmen. But there's a phone number listed on his website and if you call it, he'll gladly and pleasantly speak to you for as long as you like - letting you know how your camera is, what position it is in line, etc.

I send him my collectibles and he takes care of them for me. He brought back to life a dead Minolta XK Motor I bought for parts. When he was done with it it was a MINT condition example I promptly sold for 7 times what I'd paid for it.

If you don't use Mark, that just means my cameras will come back that much quicker - and that you lost out on one of only four repair persons in the country I trust.

Jeff M

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Jeff View Post

If you don't use Mark, that just means my cameras will come back that much quicker - and that you lost out on one of only four repair persons in the country I trust.

Jeff M
    OK, can you list the other three for us?

Thanks,
    Michael

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm a lurker and appreciate the generous sharing of experience I find here. I have to come to Marks' defense. I sent him, in January I think, a Nikon F4. Had it back in about 3 weeks working perfectly.

Maybe the issues are related to some machines needing hard to obtain parts/attention that only he can perform? I had 2 cameras I wanted serviced and he told me, up front, that the Nikon would be much quicker.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Two promised ship dates. Still no camera! Lack of communication is a huge problem. Having my money and my camera for 7+ months is also a problem. Clear and accurate communications buys patience. Lack of communications brings frustration. This experience has dampened my interest in restoring and using a classic rangefinder. Perhaps I new Voigtlander from Stephen Gandy would quench that thirst. Same dollars, less aggravation. Bill Barber

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I recently bought a Yashica GL off ebay for about $9.00. Off course it was DOA, as I expected. But at that price it was worth it and Im getting it ready to send off to Mark to bring it back to life. IN his email he said to will be about 2 weeks to repair, though Im in no hurry.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have had him work wonders, and very quickly, with a TLR that hit the ground face first (in its case, thankfully) when the old leather strap gave way. Now I have a Yashicamat that I picked up cheaply over the weekend that needs his attention. I'm debating whether to send it to him, even though he'd have it working better than new (as his site says, maybe he built it originally!). But the uncertainty of communications does trouble me.

pesphoto, have you tried Zack's Camera Repair, right in Providence? zackscamerarepair.com You might want to deal with someone local -- and I'm considering using them myself if they work on these.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin