Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,478   Posts: 1,571,014   Online: 914

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Canada = quality

I am, of course, completely unbiased .

Matt

P.S. if any wish to disagree, then I would be happy to accept their M4-2 donations, without question (Canadian made Leica lenses will be accepted as well )
    The only Noctilux you will ever find is Canadian
    Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I picked up an M2 a few years ago for a fairly reasonable price. It had a dim vf so I sent it off to Sherry Krauter for a cla. When I got it back the vf was bright & contrasty. It has become my favorite camera to go off with when iI just want to enjoy shooting. Loading the M2 is no big deal and can be quickly mastered.

Best regard,

Bob
    Best regards,

Bob
    CEO-CFO-EIEIO, Ret.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Aspen View Post
    Thanks, everyone, for your contributions. I do understand that the m4-2 was made in Midland but some are stamped "Wetzlar" and command a premium. Can anyone comment on why this is? Is it just that the later (Wetzlar) models were produced much higher on the learning curve?

Also, I have had a couple of M3s years ago and wanted to put the M2/M3 on the short list but have recently read a number of horror stories about "dim rangefinders, de-silvering rangefinder prisms" which I understand are non-repairable and I don't particularly want to buy into that risk. I also see this problem mentioned on some of KEH's offerings also.

Is this a common problem now that the early Leicas are nearing 55 years old?

Thanks again, everyone!

-Fred
    I've owned a single stroke M3 and a 2 stroke M3 for many years. No rangefinder problems ever - with either of them-. Klaus of Thousand Oaks has performed all my Leica service (He's retired now).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=Fred Aspen;667386]I am a "less is more" guy and I have been toying with adding a simple rangefinder with interchangeable lenses. I have been considering a Leica M4-2 because of its clean, simple look.

I did some research and it seems to have mixed reviews and I couldn't find anything relevant on APUG.

Anybody have one and care to share information? Any horror stories?

I have an M6 ttl and like it very much; bought it used to replace stolen equipment. To me, there is nothing like the feel, fit, finish, and pleasure in any M mount Leica. That being said, and I were looking for something with a great feel and a quiet shutter, and wanted the mostests for the leastest, I might opt for a clean Oly OM1-n. I know it's not a RF. But it is darn smooth and quiet.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I've had an M4-2, a very early one, for about 30 years. I've got M6s and others but I do like to go basic, no meter. The M4-2 has been used professionally since the day I bought it. I'ts been soaked, it's been through months of desert duct, it's been dropped and it's never missed a beat. About four years ago It had its first service (by Leica. Solms) and its now going to last a lot longer than me. They're cheap and reliable. Don't hestitate if you can get one.
    Roger

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Here's a link below from Stephen Gandy's Leica M Guide.
    Leica M Used Buying Guide

Here's a link below to see when and where was the camera manufactured.
    Leica M's Sorted by Model and Serial Number 1954 to 1999: M3 to M6 TTL

I have a 1959 Leica M3, 1990 Leica M6 (Psudo MP if you upgrade the VF to an M7 brightline VF), 2006 Leica M7. They're all good regardless of age. This has been a problem for Leica Camera GMBH cause their trashy looking M, long as it is mechanically sound and functioning; it will shoot as good as the latest M and my 1959 M3 will barely move at 1/15 sec hand held.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Considering the prices, it is not much more for an M6 or M6TTL. You gain the 75mm framelines, and metering in the camera. However, in favor of the M4-2 is the simplified viewfinder (compared to the M6) and a slightly shorter shutter release travel. The only importance in the shutter release is that it makes this the fastest Leica rangefinder in shutter release, though in reality they are all so quick that it is nearly impossible to tell any difference. Whether it was Canadian or German made should make no difference, and I state that as someone born and raised in Germany.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin