Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,671   Posts: 1,481,798   Online: 1079

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bender View Post
    I'm a total noob regarding Leicas, or rangefinders in general from before 1960. I emailed KEH yesterday afternoon with a couple questions regarding one of their "Bargain" Leicas. I asked how the "slow" shutter speeds were, I asked if there were any markings or engravings "non-leica" such as owner's names etc., I asked if the rangefinder was weak or looked good.

Were those OK questions, or were they dumb? I hope KEH responds soon, I hate companies that don't respond to email.
    KEH generally is not in a position to respond to
    questions about individual cameras for sale, at
    least if you call them with questions. The cameras
    are stored in a place not accessible by the sales
    staff. On the other hand, their descriptions of
    their cameras have been reliable in my experience.

Sanders
    Sanders McNew
    My Flickr stream

Shooter
    35mm
    ok, thanks Rollei. That saved me from waiting forever for a reply that probably won't ever come. I guess I'll order a Leica and therefore can form my own opinion of KEH.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The other option, that I've used is to phone them. The sales staff can have a camera sent to them from the warehouse, so they can have it in hand when they speak to you. It does involve a day of time and call-backs, though. I've done this before on their suggestion.

Jo

Shooter
    35mm
    actually, they replied to my email shortly after I posted my last post. However, they did not specifically answer my questions. They gave a generic response something like "the camera is old and has wear...". Ok, well thanks for that info, ha ha.
    Adorama has a good selection of Leicas right now. I'm tempted to go for a IIIc with a condition of "E".

EDIT: ok, just bought a post-war IIIc from Adorama in "E" condition.
    Last edited by Bender; 09-05-2008 at 06:20 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Just out of interest:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LEICA-DRP-Erns...6.c0.m14#_self
    Some poor soul paid £151 for this, despite it screaming "Basket case!" at the top of its voice. It's a Leica IIc, I assume made during World War II, since the chrome has worn so badly, it's bound to need a CLA, the internal components are likely to be heavily worn because of inferior materials used, and the lens is full of haze and mold! The worst Leica I have ever seen on e-bay.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin