Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,703   Posts: 1,482,684   Online: 834

Shooter
    35mm RF

Carl Zeiss Jena 5cm F2 Sonnar "T" in LTM

This is a 1940 CZJ 5cm F2 Sonnar in a 1962 J-8 focus mount. Shimmed to perform best wide-open and close-up, infinity is good stopped down a little.

The lens on my Canon P

Close-up and Wide-Open

Focus is spot-on.

Strong back-light,

This lens was originally in a collapsible Contax mount, and the coating is in remarkably good condition. This is one of the first coated lens brought to market. The 5cm F2 Nikkor is very close in rendition to this lens, the Nikkor has slightly more contrast. I'll have to do a side-by-side comparison this Fall.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have the pre WW11, uncoated f 1.5 Sonnar on a Contax 11, and the thing I notice manly is the difference in contrast with the images to more modern optics, I think the actual sharpness of the images are not much different, but what adds to the apparent sharpness is the increased contrast, something that lens manufacturers have discovered since.
    These pictures of beautiful young girls have a lovely gentle contrast that is particularly appropriate for this sort of subject.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm RF

What lens hood for this lens?

I put together one of these this past summer using a 1930's vintage CZJ collapsible sonnar and a, probably 80's vintage black J-8. I really like the rendering of this lens. The color really surprised me. It has, as one might expect, a tendency towards flaring. Anybody have an idea what to use for a hood?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DAISIES.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	11998
    Reala wide open at close focus distance

Name:	Lori czj trixhc110b.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	87.3 KB 
ID:	11999
    Tri-x in HC110 wide open at close focus distance

Name:	Michael2.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	12000
    Tri-x in HC110 wide open at close focus distance
    Roger

Shooter
    35mm RF
    You can go with the "Heavystar" 40.5mm vented hood, works well. Readily available on Ebay.

I use the Hood from a Nikkorex 35-2, which had a 50mm F2.5 lens. It has 40.5mm filter ring like the Sonnar. That is the hood used for these pictures.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin