Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,858   Posts: 1,583,116   Online: 935

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Argus C4 lens position?

Please tell me if this method is correct.

I needed to do some clean up and repair to my Argus C4. All went well until I put the lens back on and it didn't line up to the marks I had made before disassembly. The picture I have attached shows a set screw that lines up the focus with the dial. When the set screw is removed the lens unscrews with a helical thread.

Long story short, it didn't go back to the same place. So I borrowed the ground glass from my 6x9 roll back that goes to my 4x5. I set the shutter to Bulb (with cable release to hold it open) placed the ground glass against the open back as though it was replacing a piece of film (at least on the same plane as the film would be) Set the focus dial to infinity and turned the lens (set screw removed) until I had focus on the ground glass. Amazingly enough, the set screw and the sliding slot the set screw travels in lined up perfectly in this position. Is it fair to say this is the correct position for the lens? If so, apparently I have a brain capacity I was unaware of until now to figure it out on my own. If not, well no surprise really, but I will need help fixing it so any input will be nice.

Thank You,
    Jody
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Argus Lens.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jody,

Seems to me you're description of the problem & correction seems to be the correct approach. I remember doing a similar procedure on both the C3 and C4 that I CLA'd.

Double check both the close and infinity focus with your ground glass against the RF's image. If you haven't tinkered with the RF yet, everything should be in alignment.

Jo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Jo, But no the rangefinder is wack, that's the next step. I just picked up "Restoring the Great Collectible Cameras" (Thomas Tomosy) from the library and I've been using this:http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-127.html. Hopefully the book will have a little more in depth discussion of all the adjustments in the rangefinder. I believe someone else has moved things around before I got it because there are finger print marks on the brass top plate that holds the first mirror (two way). I need to know positions of everything in the area. Crossing my fingers the book will have that info.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My C44 has the later bayonet mount, so I have not seen that one with the setscrew. Sounds like you got it figured out!

You could fine tune it with film by shooting some distant scenes with the lens wide open.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Y'know, Jody, your post brings back some vague memories. I think Mr. Olsen's site was all I used to get mine working again. Tomosy should be even better. I let that C3 & C4 go in favor of a C44 like IC.

Patience and the trial and error process should get you a working camera, though I did lose one C4 to horrificly rusted shutter components.....it's still shooting as a pinhole panaramic, though (never say die).

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin