Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,546   Posts: 1,572,923   Online: 983

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another vote for Sherry Krauter...
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Sheesh, Colyn

I'm probably going to step on some toes but here goes....DO NOT I repeat DO NOT send it to Youxin Ye....unless of course you want an oil dripping camera returned..
    No, Colyn, those weren't toes you felt crunching underfoot....it was an honest someone's reputation

Youxin has done a II and a III for me. Each was not functional when sent, and when returned they both ran like Swiss watches. They were clean, exposures were proper, and were completed in less than a week for a reasonable amount of money.

No oil drips, no curtain saturation, no fingerprints, plenty of follow-up email support for my inane questions immediately answered. No, I have no connection to Youxin, other than being a completely satisfied customer on two separate occasions.

Did you try to work your displeasure out with him? I found him accomodating to a fault. I can't imagine him turning away from a dissatified customer. Maybe a thought or two before you bash someone's work on a world-wide basis.

Jo

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I've had Six cameras repaired by Youxin Ye: An M2, Two IIIf's, Two IIIa's, and a III. All came back working perfectly. The M2 was jammed, worked for five rolls of film from a prior visit to a "higher-priced repairshop". Works fine now. Youxin replaced the beamsplitter in three of the LTM Leica's. Two of the cameras were $15 "junque store" finds and were jammed up when I got them.

Every repair shop has an off-day, or an unanticipated problem. We are talking about working on Antique Machinery here. These cameras can be a real can-of-worms when you open them up.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by jolefler View Post

Did you try to work your displeasure out with him? I found him accomodating to a fault. I can't imagine him turning away from a dissatified customer. Maybe a thought or two before you bash someone's work on a world-wide basis.

Jo
    I returned the camera to him for curtain replacement and he tried to charge me for the new curtains after he destroyed the originals. 2 months after getting the camera back it quit. No broken parts...it just quit.

I sent the camera to Sherry who then asked me "did Ye do another flush clean"?

I have the camera back after Sherry fixed it right...

The reason he can get a camera back to you so quick is because he flush cleans.
    Leicarfcam aka Colyn

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Most cameras will work correctly after a simple flush cleaning- I have done this to 20 or so cameras. No real damage to the mechanisms, just dirt, grime, and old lubricants mucking things up. Some require major repair, and flood cleaning will not do the job. I'm confident that Sherry or DAG can fix just about any Leica. The question is how much is the owner of the camera willing to spend. A top-notch CLA and repair can run $200~$300 for a Leica. Youxin is much less, under $100 for a CLA and beamsplitter replacement for the Leica IIIa that I picked up with a Summar lens for $15. It works beautifully now.

If you are willing to spend the money on a top-notch repair shop, you will end up with a fine camera ready to shoot film for the next 30 years. But if cost is a consideration, there are many people that are satisfied with Youxin's work.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by lens_hacker View Post
    If you are willing to spend the money on a top-notch repair shop, you will end up with a fine camera ready to shoot film for the next 30 years. But if cost is a consideration, there are many people that are satisfied with Youxin's work.
    When I spend money I expect to get my money's worth.

I don't want a half a** job done..
    Leicarfcam aka Colyn

Shooter
    35mm RF
    So you want a full ass for your money.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by lens_hacker View Post
    So you want a full ass for your money.
    I use quality gear I expect quality repair. It's as simple as that...

$80 was too much to pay for a repair that only lasted a few months..
    Leicarfcam aka Colyn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In working on clocks or watches, which I do, flush cleaning is done because its cheap & quick, not because its good. It is done by some to get the clock or watch working so they can sell it.

You cannot clean out the bearing areas, nor clean the springs, by a dip & dunk (usually in a ultrasonic) and worse, cannot properly dry out the surfaces afterwords. Parts cannot be inspected without a complete disassemble. Its cheaper in cost but more expensive in that you really don't get what you think your getting.

I have several M's that I want serviced so a lower price is attractive but not at the expense of a quality job. I have not done business with any of these folks yet(cannot afford it at this time) however, I am leaning toward Sherry or Dag.

JMHO
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    I have several M's that I want serviced so a lower price is attractive but not at the expense of a quality job. I have not done business with any of these folks yet(cannot afford it at this time) however, I am leaning toward Sherry or Dag.

JMHO
    I've used both and can recommend them.

Sherry will probably get it back to you quicker though. Don is backed up.
    Leicarfcam aka Colyn

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin