Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,966   Posts: 1,632,580   Online: 1099

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    had both...used both...dumped the minolta.....enough said.

pquser

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    The Canonet will handle much better and is probably more solidly built. The Hi-Matic 9 will pull in more light. I need the light, so I prefer the Minolta Hi-Matic 9. I use it without a battery.

Since I have not noticed anyone addressing this:

Hi-Matic 9 (or 7 for that matter) NEVER had anything like aperture or shutter priority mode. It's either a fully auto or fully manual. Manual for each camera is quite clear how the electronics are set up. The fact that the camera will fire when only one of the two rings are set to "A" means nothing. Misinformation is the worst enemy.

Secondly, while this may just be my opinion: Canonet is certainly NOT more solidly built than the earlier Hi-Matics (before 7sII), although Hi-Matics do develop loose lens mount over time (perhaps due to bad handling, but have seen too many with it to be happy about it).

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by superd View Post
    Since I have not noticed anyone addressing this:

Hi-Matic 9 (or 7 for that matter) NEVER had anything like aperture or shutter priority mode. It's either a fully auto or fully manual. Manual for each camera is quite clear how the electronics are set up. The fact that the camera will fire when only one of the two rings are set to "A" means nothing. Misinformation is the worst enemy.

Secondly, while this may just be my opinion: Canonet is certainly NOT more solidly built than the earlier Hi-Matics (before 7sII), although Hi-Matics do develop loose lens mount over time (perhaps due to bad handling, but have seen too many with it to be happy about it).
    I have both, both seem to be as well built as any consumer fixed lens rangefinder of the time, my Hi Matic 9 does not have any issues with lose lens. I also have Konica S2 and S3, the S2 does not seem to be as well made as the Canon or Minolta, but the S3 has a better lens but no manual override, you need to fuss the ASA/ISO setting to fool the camera for over and under exposure. The S 2 has a built in lens hood which is a nice feature. The best built consumer grade fixed lens rangfinder is the Konica Hextor, not the AF model, the unmetered Hextar with the F 2.0 lens, I had one years ago and I am sorry I let it go.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PDH View Post
    The best built consumer grade fixed lens rangfinder is the Konica Hextor, not the AF model, the unmetered Hextar with the F 2.0 lens, I had one years ago and I am sorry I let it go...
    I would like to ask, what model you're talking about -
    those old beauties like Konika I, II, and III(a) with their Hexanon lenses ?
    Like them a lot !!
    “…all photographs are self-portraits.” – Minor White

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I hope 2015 posters realize that this is a resurrected 2008 thread and the original poster has probably made a decision by now.

https://flic.kr/p/8XWY9C
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Range Finders 018b sml.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by narsuitus View Post
    I hope 2015 posters realize that this is a resurrected 2008 thread and the original poster has probably made a decision by now.

https://flic.kr/p/8XWY9C
    One decision the OP has definitely made is not to post since 2009. Sometimes on APUG we get to the point of still replying to a 1945 post which asks: Is it dangerous to have Joe Stalin in charge of the USSR?

pentaxuser

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by macfred View Post
    I would like to ask, what model you're talking about -
    those old beauties like Konika I, II, and III(a) with their Hexanon lenses ?
    Like them a lot !!
    I had a late model III, I got it used and it was well worn, I already had a Kodak Retina III C big so at some point I either sold it or gave it away. The lens was either a 5 or 6 element, 6 element comes to mind, tack sharp at F 2. The viewfinder was better than the Retina and is easy to use.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ^ - @PDH :

Thank you !
    “…all photographs are self-portraits.” – Minor White

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by macfred View Post
    ^ - @PDH :

Thank you !
    I checked on line to refresh my memory, the earlier IIIs were a 48mm F2, unmetered, the later IIIs were 50 1.8 and metered, had a cell that flipped up and when down acted as a cover for the rangefinder lens. I had the 48 F 2. Don't know how good the meter was or is on the later models.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin