Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,306   Online: 1222

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Howell View Post
    One more question I would ask you learned fellows is whether you would trust your developing to labs or would you wait and develop the film yourself? I'm not thrilled about the idea of carrying chemicals but if I must so be it. If it makes any difference I will be shooting soley b+w.
    When in third world countries like Afghanistan and even not-so-third world countries like Egypt and Kuwait, I have mailed film back home through Fed Ex or one of the other major shippers. I mark the box FILM and have never had an issue with X-rays or the film getting home before I did.

I HAVE had issues in the US with high doses of radiation, even inside the airports while hand carrying film (not in luggage). The worst airport was Houston-X, where they refused to hand inspect my film, even when I showed them TSA regulations stating that they must.

Good luck and let us know what you do.

Jeff M

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I shoot XP 2 and have it developed at mini labs as I travel. I was only once refused by a lab, in Kathmandu, they did not know what it was and the boss wasn't there to ask.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Jeff View Post
    It's not a Summicron by any stretch, but there are times I prefer it to my 50mm, f/2 'Cron.

Jeff M
    Since the OP is new to this stuff, it should be noted that the 40mm lens that came with the Leica CL is a 40mm f:2 Summicron-C, and labelled as such on the lens bezel. There have been 5 versions of the 50 Summicron optics, starting with 7 element designs and then changing to 6 element double Gauss designs in 1969 or so. The 40 Summicron-C is also a 6 element double Gauss design. Jeff's statement should be construed as his personal take on the lens' performance relative to his 50 Summicron, not to mean that the 40mm Summicron-C isn't labelled as such.

The Minolta version of this lens is labelled M-Rokkor.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    hi redmike

it sounds like you have a nice trip planned.
    i spent 3 weeks overseas recently and took only a
    leica m3+50mm sumawhatefveritwascalled
    and a graflex slr. no one noticed the leica in the big / small
    cities that i was in and having one lens was nice and easy.
    i have gotten fond of just using one lens, be it on
    a big camera or small one, it is easy to get used to how it sees.
    i wouldn't bother bring your own chemicals either, especially these days
    when even in clearly marked packages the airports and others might
    be given the opportunity to give you a hard time. i wouldn't worry about
    xrays at the airport either, unless you are putting your film in the belly of the plane.
    i've been on trips where my film ( asa 25-800 ) was scanned/xrayed
    countless times without a problem. i read somewhere that "cosmic rays"
    from the airplane being at high alititudes probably will do "stuff" to your film
    more than airport xrays/scanners.

if you have the $$ shipping your film home to a friend is a great choice too.

good luck, and have a great! trip.

john
    ask me how ..

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee L View Post
    ... Jeff's statement should be construed as his personal take on the lens' performance relative to his 50 Summicron, not to mean that the 40mm Summicron-C isn't labelled as such.

The Minolta version of this lens is labelled M-Rokkor.

Lee
    That's true - and what I meant.

Jeff M

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just did a year abroad with one body and two lenses. For the first half it was a Bessa T + Nokton 40 and Skopar 21. Then I switched to an M2 with a Zeiss 25 and Summicron-C 40. Both combinations worked like a dream for me (I have some results posted on my gallery in the England and India sections). I'd recommend a Leica body, but a Bessa will get the job done just fine. The R3M would be a much better choice than the R4M, IMO, for 50mm. But where the Bessas and early Leica M's lose out is the lack of a 28-ish frameline. 35 and 50 are much too close for me. I prefer 28-50 and for that you need an M4-P or later or a Zeiss Ikon. Or you can do as I did and just learn how a particular lens frames and live without exact framelines. I didn't take the 25 off the M2 for the last three months and did fine.

best,
    -A

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Anupam Basu View Post
    ...I'd recommend a Leica body, but a Bessa will get the job done just fine. The R3M would be a much better choice than the R4M, IMO, for 50mm. But where the Bessas and early Leica M's lose out is the lack of a 28-ish frameline. ...
    -A
    A bargain 3-Lug M5 or a Minolta CLE would both have 28mm frame lines and not be much pricier than a new Bessa. I have an M5 and a CLE & enjoy the distinct feel and pleasure each of them adds to shooting.

As it has been noted the 40mm lens is a nice length for travel photography, the CLE would also have 40mm frames.

The Minolta also has a very sophisticated TTL flash technology, which along with a Minolta 360PX (they sell for pennies these days) will give amazing flash images. I often put it on the designated flash bracket (PG2) to shoot group events in areas too low lit for non-flash work. At that point it's no longer the "compact" unit it is by itself, but is an amazing flash / camera setup.

Something to consider if you're also thinking about an affordable, GOOD flash system with this travelling kit.

For all the reasons mentioned above, these two cameras are the RF's that I take with me when I travel for long periods.

The Summicron DR 50mm, f/2 I mentioned earlier usually stays on the M5 and the Rokkor-M 28mm on the CLE. I also carry a 40mm with me to use on the CLE when needed (the DR Summicron is incompatible with the CLE). These two cameras, three lenses, a set of filters and a flash / bracket are nearly always all I ever take on trips even when gone for months at a time.

If you add it up, this is a very affordable travel kit.

Jeff M

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You might want to consider getting a Bronica RF645 along with the 45mm and 65mm lenses. I bit larger than your 35mm RF, but with a much bigger negative.

If you want a bit larger, maybe a Mamiya 6 with the 50mm and 75mm lenses?

Neither of these would be too large to carry around all day. You could even add a small 35mm camera like an Olympus XA or Minox 35.

My travel kit used to be an Iskra (6x6 coupled RF folder) and Minox 35GT.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Minolta CLE is a very nice camera, but has a couple of drawbacks for my use. It is completely battery dependent, and it doesn't even meter when you set the exposure yourself. You have to meter in automatic mode, remember the settings, then switch off of auto exposure and set your manual exposure. The meter goes off entirely in manual exposure mode. I've started using a very small incident meter a lot, and plan to press the CLE back into service more often using that.

The viewfinder magnification of the CLE is 0.58, and it has framelines for 28, 40, and 90mm lenses, not for 50mm. The Bessa R3 has framelines for 40, 50, 75, and 90mm.

Cosina-Voigtlander make a very small 28/35 combination hot shoe finder that is a nice accessory for the R3M/A cameras if you require those.

My sample of the M-Rokkor 28 is a bit soft and flare prone wide open, not just the flare from pointing into a light source, but a general veiling flare under some circumstances, even pointed away from the sun. It doesn't have the white edge spots that sometimes occur with this lens.

Lee

Olympus OM-1 or OM-3TI with 24, 50 and 85mm lens. That should do the trick and be light and give you DOFP.

--Jeffrey
    --Jeffrey

www.jsteinbergphoto.com (my avocation)
    www.reversis.com (my vocation)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin