Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,555   Posts: 1,545,009   Online: 706

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Agfa APX 400

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolleiflexible View Post
    Isn't Adox going to return this film to market soon?
    I had not heard that, but I hope so.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Why not use a film like this. Even if it is going out of production, which i find hard to believe so many people are selling it. I notice that most of you use Rodinal. I had graininess with Rodinal. Or should I say that Rodinal gives great sharpness but along with that you get sharp edges to the grain and this increases the grainy look. I use Microdol-x to give the film a low grain factor. I did this back when I took a trip to Bermuda and used Bergger 100 which I found to be very grainy when developed in, HC 110, Rodianl, and Pyrocat-HD. This was 120 film I'm talking about and even when printed as 8x10 it showed a lot of graininess. But the Microdol could be printed to 11x14 without despair. T-max 400 could go to 16x20 without grain. So my 120 and 35mm are developed in microdol and my 4x5,8x10, and 8x20 are developed in pyrocat-HD.
    "Capturing an image is only one step of the long chain of events to create a beautiful Photograph” See my updated website: mandersenphotography.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Not much value to those not in the U.K. but Mr Cad in Croydon appears to have secured 30 metre rolls of both APX100 and 400 and if you buy two the price is £25 per bulk roll. So that's 36 to 38 films for about £1.32 per film. Expiry date of 2010. This looks very good compared to Mathers who want £2.95. Mind you I have just seen Retro's price for a 10 pack at £1.60 per roll so the price benefit drops to about 30p per film there.

Once again it pays to shop around. How is Retro able to make a profit at £1.60 but Mathers needs £2.95? Normally Mathers is very competitive but clearly not so with APX.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by michael9793 View Post
    Why not use a film like this. Even if it is going out of production, which i find hard to believe so many people are selling it.
    Agfa's APX line of films are already out of production! They died with Agfa (or at least with the division that made consumer films) about two years ago (give or take a bit). There's still a lot of the old APX in the supply pipeline, though, so it's still readily available -- at least, via various online retailers. Some of the expiration dates I've seen on the stuff seem a bit optimistic, given that it must have been coated quite a while ago.

Fotoimpex is currently resurrecting some Agfa B&W products for sale under the Adox brand. They've begun with papers, with the MCP line already gone through one coating run and going on market very soon. MCC papers are planned next. I've heard no dates for the APX films, and their appearance is dependent on good sales of the papers, from what I've heard. Try doing a search here on APUG on words like "Adox," "MCP," and "MCC" to find discussions of this. Oh, I believe "resurrection" may be another good search term; IIRC, that word's in at least one relevant thread's title.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

APX400 = wonderful film

Agfa APX 400 is wonderful film. It is somewhat grainy, but you said you didn't mind. I find that the film base is muddy so get a strong light source when you enlarge.
    The photo linked to earlier in this post is hardly representative of how APX400 normally looks. I think it looks a lot like Foma 400 but with less grain. The toe is pretty mild and highlight separation good. I've had good results in Rodinal and great results in Pyrocat-HD and DD-X. I've also tried Xtol but can't remember what it was like now, and a bunch of other developers that escape me. (The photo attached is a 120 neg dev in DD-X and is a direct scan. The print exhibits less grain).

Most of all it prints nicely. I don't think it's inferior to HP5 or Tri-X, but it is a bit slower. I would be equally happy with all three of them.

- Thomas
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails APX400_DDX_Full-Frame.jpg  
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Large Format
    If you want Tri-X tonal range at a bargain price, why not use the new Arista Premium from Freestyle? Rumor is that it is Tri-X, and the test rolls people have put up show a very Tri-x-like tonal range. It is WAY cheap and likely to be offered for quite a while.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by michael9793 View Post
    So my 120 and 35mm are developed in microdol and my 4x5,8x10, and 8x20 are developed in pyrocat-HD.
    I have a time for DDX but being a "grainophobe" I am sorely tempted to go for Perceptol and am encouraged by your comment on 35mm in microdol which I hope is close enough to Perceptol to make the latter's use OK. I had a look at times on the Massive Dev Chart and in both cases the APX times were in stock solution in both cases and at EI 320 in both cases. So the good news is that if there are these similarities then Perceptol may be OK but the bad news is that EI320 is all that lwas listed.

Have you experience of Microdol at box speed and is so what was the time? Better still if there is a Perceptol user out there who has successfully used it at box speed, I'd love to hear about your times.

Thanks

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolleiflexible View Post
    Isn't Adox going to return this film to market soon?
    Mirko (from Fotoimpex) stated so, I pushed him on it and he said the film is in ripening and will be ready when most of the APX dries up.
    I don't think they will introduce it until the field is clear.
    APX 400 is a great film similar tonally to HP5 (with marginally less shadow detail at normal dev times) and has slightly more grain than Tri-x.

and this church window with a 1950's 90mm Elmar F4

I don't know how Peters shot looked so bad, it looked underexposed to me, APX certainly is better than that.

Images
    Wow, Mark Antony.

Nice APX photo, beautiful tonal range.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks, I think the old Leica lenses also have a lot do with the tone. APX is a wonderful film, when its gone, its gone gotta try it at least once.
    Mark

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin