Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,499   Posts: 1,543,190   Online: 1130

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Agfa APX 400

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

Agfa APX 400

I have been a LF photographer for a long time and just started getting into having a 35mm around and want to do some street photos. I have some T-Max 400 and Tri-X. They seem okay but expensive since the big yellow god increased the price on T-Max. But I got a good deal on some APX400. what is your thoughts regarding this film and the ones above. I'm not too concerned with grain. I use Micro-x for developing. I have looked up peoples options but found only those who love a film really give their option.

thanks

michael andersen
    "Capturing an image is only one step of the long chain of events to create a beautiful Photograph” See my updated website: mandersenphotography.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I've used this film off and on over the past few years. Lately, I've been shooting with it a lot. I like the film because it holds the shadows nicely. Grain is nice and predictable.

It's somewhat like Tri-X, but to me it seems a bit softer. Of course, the camera that's being used plays a role. In general, though, I've been very pleased with the film.

I've been processing it in Rodinal, 1+50. I think the film should respond well in Microdol-X. which is similar to Adox ATM-49, which is similar to Agfa Atomal. It should give you finer grain than Rodinal.

Here's one shot with APX 400 (processed in Rodinal,1+50):

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've also tried out APX400 because I got a good deal on it, plus using Rodinal kept the cost way down. I've a pictorial shot on here devved in Rodinal 1+25, but have to say that I've never really taken to the look of it.

http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphot...37&ppuser=5808

Shooter
    35mm
    Oh dear Peter, I have just looked at your shot and if this is how I can expect APX400 to turn out then it's the last roll I'll buy. I second your sentiment entirely . This is not the look I want either. Just used the whole roll today at a village fete and only bought APX400 because I thought I owed it to myself to try out Agfa B&W film.

Looks as if I should have gone along to the fete with my bulk loaded HP5+ instead. It looks very flat and grainy - so grainy it's almost painterly in effect.

I'll have to hope that in your shot, it's the "Rodinal wot did it". I bought some of this as well a while back and was singularly unimpressed - so grainy.

I still like Agfa paper but it looks as if that's as far as the love affair will progress

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I believe Peter's photo is an exception. Scanned APX shouldn't look that flat. I've been using APX 400 for the last while and have gotten good results from it with Rodinal 1:25. What scanner were you using Peter ?

Back to Tri X now that my stash of APX 400 has dried up.Always been a Tri X shooter but the price of the APX was too good to pass up for the time being.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails oldbeater.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by canuhead View Post
    What scanner were you using Peter ?
    It is a Minolta Dimage Scan Dual iii and I've used it for all of the 35mm shots in my portfolio, including the Leanach Cottage one which shows it can do sharp and in focus.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Peter, that's a big difference in scans. The Xp2 shots look terrific. I guess for the OP, the issue may well be academic since remaining stock of APX is probably close to being sold out.

CuS

Shooter
    35mm

Don't give up on agfa

Yes, the apx400 is rather junky but the apx100 is amazing - especially in rodinal!

Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    Oh dear Peter, I have just looked at your shot and if this is how I can expect APX400 to turn out then it's the last roll I'll buy. I second your sentiment entirely . This is not the look I want either. Just used the whole roll today at a village fete and only bought APX400 because I thought I owed it to myself to try out Agfa B&W film.

Looks as if I should have gone along to the fete with my bulk loaded HP5+ instead. It looks very flat and grainy - so grainy it's almost painterly in effect.

I'll have to hope that in your shot, it's the "Rodinal wot did it". I bought some of this as well a while back and was singularly unimpressed - so grainy.

I still like Agfa paper but it looks as if that's as far as the love affair will progress

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    It's a great film, but why start using a film which is no longer around?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Isn't Adox going to return this film to market soon?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin