Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,482,051   Online: 879

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fastest lens?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Anupam Basu View Post
    Leica is doing their best to woo the dentist niche market, but if they can't do much better with the M9 (or if Nikon or Zeiss enter the DRF market) their goose is cooked, I'm afraid, bragging rights notwithstanding.
    *I don't know about dentists, Anupam, even my plumber couldn't afford this lens.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm not a dentist, but I guess I could marry one! That it'll be the only way I can get a Lecia.

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm
    A practical question: in the real world how usable is a lens at f/0.95? The DOF would be extremely shallow (I checked DOFMaster, but it currently only goes down to f/1, which is still pretty shallow - a 50mm lens on an M8 calculates as 0.55 ft. of total DOF at f/1).
    i can't wait to take a picture of my thumb with this beautiful camera.

- phirehouse, after buying a camera in the classifieds

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mabman View Post
    A practical question: in the real world how usable is a lens at f/0.95? The DOF would be extremely shallow (I checked DOFMaster, but it currently only goes down to f/1, which is still pretty shallow - a 50mm lens on an M8 calculates as 0.55 ft. of total DOF at f/1).
    Well, for David Hamilton style it would be usable
    Bosnia... You don't have to be crazy to live here, but it helps...
    No things in life should be left unfinis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Practical enough for Leitz to rationalize making them. At 6 grand a pop they're not going to make that many but I bet they sell all they make.
    People use Holgas don't they?
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    A practical question: in the real world how usable is a lens at f/0.95?
    If it were longer I'd mount it on my spy plane and shoot IR.... Rerun your dof calcs at long subject distances

For astro it might also be fun.

But of course just because it is f/0.95 doesn't mean you have to shoot it wide open. Especially if you are composing ttl on an slr then it'd be very nice for low light work; the viewfinder would be very bright. I use a Nikon f/1.2 quite often at night; rarely do I actually shoot it wide open, but I sure like the viewfinder brightness! Especially since it is a manual focus lens....

Anyway, I think what is very special about this lens, as compared to the Canon, is the extensive use of aspherics.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Other makers produced quite fast lenses for Leica and other cameras. Zunow made a 50mm f/1.1, perhaps in the 1960s. I saw one in a PX in Yokosuka, Japan, on sale for $5. Long ago Leica made one faster lens than the new Noctilux, the 1934 Summar 75mm f/.85. It was not intended for normal camera use. In those days before lens coatings it would have lost quite a bit of light due to reflections. Other special purpose lenses are sometimes quite fast. I have a Canon 90mm f/1 that is probably a projection lens. It won't cover more than a fraction of a full 35mm frame.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Is it a coincidence or does the Leica M8 with the new Noctilux look very much like a Panasonic Camera?

Cheers!

Abbazz

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    ...But of course just because it is f/0.95 doesn't mean you have to shoot it wide open. Especially if you are composing ttl on an slr then it'd be very nice for low light work; the viewfinder would be very bright. I use a Nikon f/1.2 quite often at night; rarely do I actually shoot it wide open, but I sure like the viewfinder brightness! Especially since it is a manual focus lens....
    That's a very good point - didn't think of that (but is that applicable on a rangefinder - or M8, not sure if has an actual VF or if it's an EVF). Not sure it's worth ~$6k for a brighter viewfinder, but an interesting point none the less.
    i can't wait to take a picture of my thumb with this beautiful camera.

- phirehouse, after buying a camera in the classifieds

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jamie young View Post
    It's noted to be the worlds fastest "aspherical" lense, as opposed to the fastest lense.
    jamie, What's a lense?

Is it anything like a lens?
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin