Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,935   Posts: 1,585,616   Online: 738

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fastest lens?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hoskinson View Post
    jamie, What's a lense?

Is it anything like a lens?
    Lense is an archaic spelling of lens. Not in common usage, but still correct in some circles, especially medicine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mabman View Post
    Not sure it's worth ~$6k for a brighter viewfinder, but an interesting point none the less.
    Yup, as an RF lens it's not going to help the brightness And at least in my book, schlepping a big hunka glass like that kinda defeats the purpose of an RF.

Indeed, for most (all?) of us, $6k doesn't make sense for this lens... nor the M8. But still I'm happy to see Leica and CZ sticking to their strengths: great new optics. I suspect that both companies would do more for their brand names and their bottom line by sticking to optics and letting others build the bodies.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Terence View Post
    http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT

I think they're a little hyperbolic here. Wasn't there a f/0.95 Canon lens before?
    Did you even read the article? The Canon lens is mentioned, and the article does not say "fastest lens *ever*".

Quote Originally Posted by mabman View Post
    A practical question: in the real world how usable is a lens at f/0.95? The DOF would be extremely shallow (I checked DOFMaster, but it currently only goes down to f/1, which is still pretty shallow - a 50mm lens on an M8 calculates as 0.55 ft. of total DOF at f/1).
    ...at what focusing distance? 0.55 feet is over six inches of d of f, which is more than average for the average low-light shot that I take! Where it would get tough would be close focusing, which is already problematic with a rangefinder.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 09-21-2008 at 03:27 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm RF
    At 4 1/2 feet (typical portrait distance for a 50mm lens), an f/1.0 lens will give you approximately 1.7 inches depth of focus. The difference between f/0.95 and f/1.0 is almost statistically insignificant and in a production lens probably would be photographically insignificant. Anyway, you have a slim margin of error when focusing.

Obviously, best used with a camera that has an accurate and calibrated rangefinder system.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    Lense is an archaic spelling of lens. Not in common usage, but still correct in some circles, especially medicine.
    Jason, lense is a Wikicism.

Or, perhaps the reference was to physicist Joseph Lense?
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    Did you even read the article? The Canon lens is mentioned, and the article does not say "fastest lens *ever*".
    And did you read the thread? :rolleyes: I note a few posts down that I somehow read the article twice and missed the line about Canon.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin