Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,654   Posts: 1,481,366   Online: 1095

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fastest lens?

Shooter
    Multi Format

Fastest lens?

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT

I think they're a little hyperbolic here. Wasn't there a f/0.95 Canon lens before?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Yawn.

Canon doesn't make their lens anymore, I believe, so presently this would be the fast lens when it is released.

A nice $10K investment compared to Wall Street right now, but I'd hate to put it on that piece of crap M8 Leica. A pit bull with lipstick is better than the M8.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's noted to be the worlds fastest "aspherical" lense, as opposed to the fastest lense.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ah, semantics. I don't even shoot Leica-style rangefinders or even much 35mm anymore, but found the claim interesting.

As an engineer, the Leica certainly has a mechanical appeal to me, but also as an engineer, I can be a bit parsimonious with my treasure.

Nice to see they're actually still designing new products though.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    The article does acknowledge the Canon f 0.95 as the first of this speed.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    The article does acknowledge the Canon f 0.95 as the first of this speed.
    Not sure how I missed that. I even read the article twice before posting . . .

Need . . . more . . . caffeine . . .

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    That's by APUG Subscriber "psvensson."
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Frankly this lens is priced outside the means of most casual photographers as well as being outside the business justification of most small photographic business owners (who can buy an entire case of professional canon L-lenses for the cost of just this one and earn a lot more on ROI), the Leica Corporation feels they have an achievable business model in setting the price this high. Do they?

If you have ever used one of the original Noctiluxes on either M film or M8 camera, you will know why the demand is higher than the quantity that Leica can make. Truly a cult lens that commands a premium price. So the price point is what it is.

(and why the new 21mm/1.4 and 24/1.4 pricepoints are in the neighborhood of $6K. and why the substantially unchanged, imho, M8-2 is set at ~6.3K).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Leica is doing their best to woo the dentist niche market, but if they can't do much better with the M9 (or if Nikon or Zeiss enter the DRF market) their goose is cooked, I'm afraid, bragging rights notwithstanding.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Dimming Memories of History

Good morning, Don 12 x 20;

Regarding the pricing of the Leica f 0.95 lens, when it came out back around 1960, the Canon 50 mm f 0.95 lens for the Model 7 range finder was not cheap at that time. I recall wondering how many of them they would sell for a price that was around that for a new car then.

Still, I also remember being impressed by a lens that hung below the bottom surface of the camera body by about a 1/4 of an inch. A vague memory is that this lens was the result of a "horse power" race between Nikon (Nippon Kogaku) and Canon at the time.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin