Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,587   Posts: 1,545,862   Online: 1141

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shutterbug article: Leica day at RIT

The October 2008 issue of Shutterbug has an interesting article about Leica Day at RIT. Leica quietly purchased 20 M4-2 and M4-P cameras on the open market and donated them to RIT, "to assure that analog photography continues to be a key element of photographic education at the highest levels."

Kodak also donated 400 rolls of the new Portra 400NC film!

Kudos to both Leica and Kodak!
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Read the article, even Leica couldn't afford new Leicas.

Shooter
    35mm
    I haven't read the article, but from this brief description I think this is a crafty move on Leica's part - they've taken a number of cameras (at least temporarily) out of the used market, thus keeping demand high (and possibly pushing some people to a new camera if they can't find what they want used - at least in theory), while also generating a tax write-off (assuming they're doing this through a US company - not sure how this applies to a European company if at all). This is in addition to all the goodwill this generates.
    i can't wait to take a picture of my thumb with this beautiful camera.

- phirehouse, after buying a camera in the classifieds

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mabman View Post
    I haven't read the article, but from this brief description I think this is a crafty move on Leica's part - they've taken a number of cameras (at least temporarily) out of the used market, thus keeping demand high (and possibly pushing some people to a new camera if they can't find what they want used - at least in theory), while also generating a tax write-off (assuming they're doing this through a US company - not sure how this applies to a European company if at all). This is in addition to all the goodwill this generates.
    To quote Andreas Kaufman, CEO of Leica, in the article:
    "We didn't have any remaining inventory of these classic models... so we had to buy them discreetly at online auctions, attracting as little attention as possible so the prices wouldn't skyrocket. Despite our best efforts, the prices did go up, and it took us over 18 months to acquire 20 M4-2 and M4-P models in excellent condition. All were completely reconditioned at Leica USA in Allendale, New Jersey, and fitted with new 50mm f2.5 Summarit-M lenses." (Shutterbug 10/08, p. 145)

They spent $50,000 on this "crafty move." As you imply, the price of used equipment did indeed rise, so maybe you are right. But that sounds to me like a pretty small dark cloud compared to a big silver lining for RIT and analog photography in general. If this results in more student photographers committed to film photography, then I hope Leica does indeed profit from its craftiness.
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I'm very impressed by the thought and generosity of Leica to do this.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It is nice of Leica to do this. Could other camera companies do this also?

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by eddym View Post
    They spent $50,000 on this "crafty move." As you imply, the price of used equipment did indeed rise, so maybe you are right. But that sounds to me like a pretty small dark cloud compared to a big silver lining for RIT and analog photography in general. If this results in more student photographers committed to film photography, then I hope Leica does indeed profit from its craftiness.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing, just that it may be more nuanced for Leica than "let's donate some cameras".
    i can't wait to take a picture of my thumb with this beautiful camera.

- phirehouse, after buying a camera in the classifieds

Shooter
    35mm
    Yet another reason for me to want to go to this school.

You know, why don't we all just stop the parsing and admit that Leica was extremely generous.

Ed

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Good for Leica!
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin