Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,696   Posts: 1,482,503   Online: 953

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AutumnJazz View Post
    So basically, if I chose to use a 35mm f/1.2 on the R4x, I could think the camera was focused correctly, but I would be out of focus due to the narrow DoF?

Damn me and my love of a total lack of DoF.
    If I'm concerned about inadequate DOF in a given composition, I often crank the aperture ring on my 35mm/f1.2 back to f2, f4, f5.6 and/or even f11. Plenty of DOF that way.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    35mm
    I guess I'll be saving my pennies for a used .58 M7, then.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just wondering why you would avoid the ZI to get an M7. Better built, perhaps and it's a Leica, but ZI is by no means flimsy. The .58 M7 has a 40mm EBL, the ZI has 56. The ZI also has a top shutter speed of 2000 which lets me use the Ultron wide open in daylight. And the ZI viewfinder is simply unmatched. Any particular reason to prefer the Leica?

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm a consumer, I'm a sucker for brands.

I'm actually going to go to bhphotovideo and try both of them before I make any final decisions, though. The M7 is, however, at the top of my list due to Leica fame. I want a camera that will last for as long as I will.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ahem! At the risk of being labeled a heretic, I'd suggest that the Leica fame means little nowadays. The longevity associated with the barnacks and the M3, M2 etc doesn't automatically translate to the M7 because of the electronics involved. Remember the classic Leicas were fully mechanical marvels which could be adjusted for years.

Shooter
    35mm
    And the M7 can't be tuned up like the original M's?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AutumnJazz View Post
    I'm a consumer, I'm a sucker for brands.

I'm actually going to go to bhphotovideo and try both of them before I make any final decisions, though. The M7 is, however, at the top of my list due to Leica fame. I want a camera that will last for as long as I will.
    If you are a sucker for brands - you should be a sucker for Zeiss equipment.

I have several M series Leicas - - they sit unused, locked up in my camera cabinet while I shoot pictures with my Zeiss Ikon and my CV Bessa Ts.

Try renting a Zeiss Ikon (or whatever) and shooting film with it.
    Tom Hoskinson

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The current price of a Voigtlander Bessa T is $279.00 plus tax and shipping.

http://www.cameraquest.com/VCBT.htm
    Tom Hoskinson

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wouldn't go so far as to say it can't be tuned up, but it does have a lot of electronics, including the shutter which is battery dependent, so I wouldn't expect them to go as strong in fifty years as the M3s do now. I have nothing against Leica, my M2 was a dream to use. If I could afford a second body I'd keep it, or perhaps get an M4-P which I thought long and hard abut. But the Zeiss seemed such a well designed camera I had to try it. Of course, in a few years I'll know how tough it is, but my initial impression of it is great. Certainly in terms of brand name, if any brand can claim a heritage to match Leica, it is Zeiss - Robert Capa and all that - but I never did care about that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Hexar RF has AE and 28, 35, 50, 75, 90 and 135 framelines. I think the Leica M6/M7 with the .58 finder have the same framelines, minus the 135.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin