Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,012   Posts: 1,524,696   Online: 808

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AutumnJazz View Post
    Even more offtopic than my thread has gotten, I'm moving on to lenses. Whether I go with the Zeiss or the Leica, I plan on getting the Cosina-Voigt 35/1.2 with them, and the CV 28/2 later on. How do the CV lenses compare to the Leica and Zeiss lenses? Are the M-mount Zeisses the same as their F-mount ones? I ask because I've seen comparasons of the 50mm f/1.4 Zeiss, Nikon, and Sigma...And I must say the Zeiss was the worst, and the sigma was the best.

In real-world situations, who really is good, and who really is good? Ignoring brands, of course. Cosina makes most of the Zeiss and all of the Voigt lenses, correct? How do they compare? And again, are they as bad as the F-mount lenses?

Pretty much all I do is street photography and landscape, if that matters at all. I am trying to get money together for a LF outfit, too. So for me, this rangefinder outfit is going to be for street (and snapshotty pictures). I'm moving away from my F100 so I can have a smaller, quieter, simpler, less obtrusive, lighter, etc. camera. I really am trying to find the right fit in the camera world for me, and I honestly feel a tiny rangefinder and large format setup is best for me, rather than my current attempt at having a do-it-all camera.

You asked: "How do the CV lenses compare to the Leica and Zeiss lenses?

In my experience the M mount CV lenses are excellent picture takers that compare very favorably with their Zeiss and Leica counterparts.

You also asked: "Are the M-mount Zeiss(sic)lenses the same as their F-mount ones?"

The Zeiss wide angle M mount lenses are not retrofocus designs. The Zeiss wide angle SLR mount lenses are retrofocus designs. That said, in my experience, the performance of both the M mount and SLR mount Zeiss Lenses is outstanding.

The performance of the one SLR Sigma lens (Canon EOS mount) that I own is very good, But it does not equal the performance of my Zeiss lenses of similar focal length.
    Last edited by Tom Hoskinson; 09-27-2008 at 02:48 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    How about a Konica Hexar RF?
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Zeiss SLR and M mount Rfdr Lens performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Markok765 View Post
    How about a Konica Hexar RF?
    Off topic, Marko.
    Tom Hoskinson

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hoskinson View Post
    Off topic, Marko.
    The thread title says M-mount, wide frame lines, and TTL.

Konica hexar rf has all of those.
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I honestly figured as much.

Just a question regarding RF focus. Say I want to focus on something that isn't in the center of the frame, do I simply focus on that (AE lock if I need), then recompose? Or will it end up not being in focus with an insanely wide lens like the 35/1.2 or 50/1?
    Well... usually. But it really depends on how close you are to the subject, and how far the focus point is from the centerline after you recompose. Focusing close and shooting wide open, it is possible that the focal plane could fall behind the subject after you recompose, because the focused lens-to-subject distance moves in an arc as you swing the camera.
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    35mm
    "Unfortunately serious doubts about 100% compatibility of Leica M lenses"

http://www.cameraquest.com/konicam.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Markok765 View Post
    The thread title says M-mount, wide frame lines, and TTL.

Konica hexar rf has all of those.
    The Konica Hexar RF has not been manufactured for several years now. It has a KM lens mount - similar to - but not identical to a Leica M mount. Still - it's a nice camera if you can find a good used one.
    Tom Hoskinson

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    "Unfortunately serious doubts about 100% compatibility of Leica M lenses"
    I did a fair bit of online digging around on this a while back, and my take was that any issues here are at least somewhat overblown. It's not clear to me that any actual problems found are any different than (out-of) adjustment variation found in various M-mount bodies of varied history and brand, Leica included. Certainly there do seem to be many pleased Hexar RF owners.

This does raise the point that you'll want to do some test shots for focus calibration at maximum aperture with your body and each fast lens (esp. the CV 35/1.2) since that's a big part of your stated shooting style. You'll want to be sure that the rangefinder calibration is spot-on, which can be out of whack even on new equipment.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John W View Post
    I did a fair bit of online digging around on this a while back, and my take was that any issues here are at least somewhat overblown. It's not clear to me that any actual problems found are any different than (out-of) adjustment variation found in various M-mount bodies of varied history and brand, Leica included. Certainly there do seem to be many pleased Hexar RF owners.

This does raise the point that you'll want to do some test shots for focus calibration at maximum aperture with your body and each fast lens (esp. the CV 35/1.2) since that's a big part of your stated shooting style. You'll want to be sure that the rangefinder calibration is spot-on, which can be out of whack even on new equipment.
    I've been using my CV Nokton 35mm F1.2 Aspherical lens a lot at F1.2 for people shots on Kodak 400 TMY-2 with my Zeiss Ikon Rfdr. The images are all in sharp focus.

My Zeiss Sonnar 50mm F1.5 shots (taken during the same event) are also in sharp focus.
    Tom Hoskinson

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    FYI, I just rediscovered an article on Erwin Puts' site that discusses (and rather debunks) the alleged M vs. KM mount differences:

http://www.imx.nl/photo/technique/technique/page49.html

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin