Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,916   Posts: 1,521,817   Online: 1102

Page 1 of 10 1234567 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

M-mount, wide frame lines, and TTL metering?

As-per the topic, I'm considering a rangefinder (instead of getting into MF). I know the Leica M2 has frame lines for a 35mm lens, but that is about it. Are there any other m-mount cameras that have wider ones? In addition to TTL metering? Auto-exposure isn't a must, but I wouldn't mind aperature priority.

I do plan on getting a light meter in the future, but TTL would still be more help (eg. allow me to carry less if I'm running around somewhere).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    http://www.cameraquest.com/voigt4m4aintro.htm

The Voigtlander R4M and R4A are the only production 35mm rangefinder cameras ever made with built in parallax projected framelines for 21, 25, 28, 35, and 50mm lenses.

The new R4 series offer a combined rangefinder/viewfinder at .52x magnification with user selectable 21/35, 28, and 25/50 parallax corrected brightline frameline combinations. These are high eye point viewfinders.

The R4M is a mechanical shutter camera and the shutter works without batteries. The TTL meter requires batteries and It has a LED metering display along the bottom of the viewfinder, displaying exposure information in .5 EV values.

The R4A is an electronic shutter camera which offers metered manual or aperture priority exposure. Like most other electronic shutter cameras, dead batteries mean a dead camera.

These cameras take 2 LR44 alkaline or 2 SR44 silver oxide Batteries. I use the SR44 silver oxide Batteries in mine and I carry spares.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Zeiss Ikon ZI has 28, 35, 50, and 85 framelines built in. Not sure about viewfinder magnification, but you can find it online.
    Leicas new and used come with a variety of framelines and viewfinder magnifications, some as wide as 28mm IIRC. Bessa R4A/M is the champ of built-in wide frames.
    A little internet searching will get you all the options.

Lee

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't care if they are in production or not, btw. I've never been one to mind trolling ebay.

Edit: I now think that I will start saving my pennies for an R4A and 21 f/4.
    Last edited by AutumnJazz; 09-22-2008 at 10:09 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AutumnJazz View Post
    I don't care if they are in production or not, btw. I've never been one to mind trolling ebay.

Edit: I now think that I will start saving my pennies for an R4A and 21 f/4.
    The Cosina/Voigtlander 4A and 4M are in production - - http://www.cameraquest.com/voigt4m4aintro.htm

...and they show up on eBay...
    Tom Hoskinson

Shooter
    35mm
    Because of your wording, I thought you were just recommending me in-production cameras. It confused me, so I posted that...Then I read the page, and read about the finder...thus my edit.

I feel somewhat foolish...I'll probably end-up selling off my F100 and 35mm f/2. The F100 is so much more "advanced" than the R4A, yet I find myself wanting this manual-focus camera more. I'm crazy and I really need to stop focusing on equipment and get out and shoot. (Then again, I have a really bad cold and am stuck inside for the time being.)

(Also, I'm beginning to doubt my manual-focus abilities. I find it nearly impossible on my F100, but extremely easy on my Pentax K1000. Does my camera suck (less likely), or do I suck (more likely)?)

Also, how does the R4A let you know your shutter speed in A-mode?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The R4s have lines down to 21 but be sure you understand the implications of the extremely short effective baselength and the relative difficulty of using it with longer lenses. Other than the R4M/A, the Leica M4-P, M6, M6TTL, M7 and Zeiss Ikon has 28mm lines. The ZIs finder is truly breathtaking and beats the Leicas hand down, IMO.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AutumnJazz View Post
    (Also, I'm beginning to doubt my manual-focus abilities. I find it nearly impossible on my F100, but extremely easy on my Pentax K1000. Does my camera suck (less likely), or do I suck (more likely)?)
    I've only shot with an F100 once, two days ago, but like most other AF cameras, the stock screen isn't really designed for manual focus. Are you using the manual focus indicator that says your focus is good? I was given an N8008s with a broken finder LCD (so no focus confirmation), and changing the focusing screen to one with a microprism made manual focusing much better.

The K1000 expects you to work and is designed to make that possible.

Cameras often "suck" at doing what they're not designed to do. Autofocus on the K1000 is not very good.

On the Bessa R2/3/4M series bodies the finder has red +/- LEDs for "match LED" manual exposure setting.

On the R2/3/4A versions the shutter speed shows in red in the bottom of the finder in AE mode. This is the closest displayed speed to a more finely variable auto shutter speed. In manual mode the recommended shutter speed blinks and the manually set speed glows steadily, so you match up the blinking and steady LEDs until only one glows steadily, or until you have the offset you want.

Lee
    Last edited by Lee L; 09-22-2008 at 11:22 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee L View Post
    The Zeiss Ikon ZI has 28, 35, 50, and 85 framelines built in. Not sure about viewfinder magnification, but you can find it online.
    Leicas new and used come with a variety of framelines and viewfinder magnifications, some as wide as 28mm IIRC. Bessa R4A/M is the champ of built-in wide frames.
    A little internet searching will get you all the options.

Lee
    http://www.zeiss.com/zeissikon

The Zeiss Ikon's viewfinder magnification is .74X
    Last edited by Tom Hoskinson; 09-22-2008 at 11:19 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo
    Tom Hoskinson

Shooter
    35mm
    The screen I have for my F100 is pretty much the stock one with gridlines on it (oh man I love my gridlines...is that possible with a RF?).

Page 1 of 10 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin