Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,913   Posts: 1,584,698   Online: 676

Thread: Canonet QL17

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Canonet QL17

The wife and I visited some friends to watch the Michigan game and have some dinner. Came home with another free camera, a Canon Canonet QL17. Seems to be in great shape with the exception of the foam around the back/film cover. It appears this would be a very fine foam. Is there a source, or substitute for this? The lens and shutter seem to be in great shape, though I'll check the shutter speeds tomorrow.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    35mm
    Check with Interslice on eBay. He sells foam kits that work with most cameras. I've done two Canonet QL 17s and one or two other cameras with the one kit I bought from him, with excellent results.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In playing around with quite a few older Rf's when I was finding my personal system, I stumbled on an easy and inexpensive seal replacement system.

Black foam closed cell sheets can be had in the craft section of big discount stores for less than a buck each...each sheet will do probably 10-20 cameras. In the same section, you'll be able to find acid-free spray craft adhesive (one can is, again, more than you'll need).

Spray the back of the foam sheet with adhesive, then cover the application with waxed paper. Now, ONE SECTION AT A TIME, clean the goo out of the back of your camera, scraping with wood toothpicks and swabbing with alcohol. Cut a replacement for each strip down the channels, and pad(s) for the door ends. Peel the waxed apaper off and apply to the now cleaned area. Cake!

Jo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you both for the quick replies. Off to do some resealing.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

I use the technique taught me by a camera repairman. Use black Chineel yarn, it will never deteriorate.
    Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One camera shop once told me to use yarn if I couldn't find anything else
    Those who know, shoot film

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Layne View Post
    I use the technique taught me by a camera repairman. Use black Chineel yarn, it will never deteriorate.
    Mark
    Chenille is what I think you're referring to. Just wanted to make it possibly easier for folks to find with the correct spelling.

Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Lee L View Post
    Chenille is what I think you're referring to. Just wanted to make it possibly easier for folks to find with the correct spelling.

Lee
    You're absolutely right.
    Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I'm a little late to the discussion but I just put new foam on a QL17 (2ed model) and it was quick fix, though a little extra care is needed on the vertical strip at the latch. The material is from Interslice on eBay and was left over from another reseal job; that kit has done several cameras so far.

Cheers

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin