Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,455   Posts: 1,570,550   Online: 869

mjs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Ricoh "35" De Luxe ?

A co-worker gave me one of these today; it's an early one, serial number 10322 with a Riken Ricomat 1:2.8 4.5 cm lens in a Seikosha-MX shutter. I've figured out most of it but there are a couple of widgets I don't understand and the only Ricoh 35 manuals I've found so far are for later models.

The details below are shown in the third picture.

First, there's a button on the back which slides to the right. There's a red arrow on the right side, pointing to a red "R" engraved in the back. Any idea what this does?

Secondly, I don't understand the film take-up at all. There are two posts on the take-up side, the left one is shiny steel and has the little cogs for engaging the holes in the film, but it's post is solid, no slot into which to place the end of the film leader. To its right is another post, with a spring on it. If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it. At this point I guess I'm just too dumb to figure out how to load the film (and when I finally got the back off, I thought I had it made!)

The film advance on the bottom of the camera is just a gas! The shutter seems to work fine and all the shutter speeds make different noises and seem at least approximately correct to my ear. A quick check of the rangefinder on a couple of things five feet and twelve feet away seem all right. The viewfinder is a bit dim but I think it is about average for the era; the yellow rangefinder patch in the middle of the viewfinder is more than adequate for reasonable lighting conditions. The camera itself and the inside, oddly, is rather dirty and needs a good cleaning. I like that it doesn't use foam light seals (just one more thing I don't have to mess with!) If I can figure out how to load a roll of film, I'll give it a try some time.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN0208_S.JPG   DSCN0207_S.JPG   DSCN0205_S.JPG  

Images
    I have no experience with the camera, but my quess is that the button with the red arrow and the R is the rewind button. Hold it in the direction of the arrow while you rewind the film. The film advance mechanism looks like it needs a removable takeup spool similar to those used on the old Leicas. If your co-worker did not give you one with the camera you may be able to fabricate one out of the spool from a 35 mm film cartridge.
    -------------------------------
    Peter Schauss

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I bought a "five one nine" version with a F1.9 Rikenon lens for near nothing

I can take a photo of the takeup if you want and post it later

Haven't used it but for a single test shot
    the lens on this one is decent. Not great but ..good.

I'd figure your lens is a bit worse but by f8 about the same

mjs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sun of sand View Post
    I bought a "five one nine" version with a F1.9 Rikenon lens for near nothing

I can take a photo of the takeup if you want and post it later

Haven't used it but for a single test shot
    the lens on this one is decent. Not great but ..good.

I'd figure your lens is a bit worse but by f8 about the same
    Does your take-up section look like mine?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Well, I'm not going to take it apart but I'm pretty sure it would be the same functionally
    http://aei-collectibles.web.infoseek...-102/index.htm
    that site has a photo
    http://cgi.ebay.com/RICOH-500-Beauti...QQcmdZViewItem
    Photo in there. It does have cosmetic differences compared to mine but other than that?
    http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/...0,0,0&format=0
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ricoh 002.jpg   ricoh 001.jpg  
    Last edited by sun of sand; 10-02-2008 at 07:26 AM. Click to view previous post history.

mjs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the info. There's a manual out there for the 500 series, too. Either mine is missing the take-up spool or it's a deeper mystery. I still wonder: in some of the pictures you provided, you can see the gear on the take-up spool (which on my camera is attached to and operates the film counter dial on the top of the camera, and on yours as well, presumably.) Mine has no take-up spool and no gearing evident, yet the film counter still works properly. This tells me that the gearing to operate it is different than in the examples you show, but it's still a mystery to me.

Oh, well: I should join the rangefinder website, I suppose, and see if anyone there knows anything about this. Thanks for your help: I appreciate it.

mike

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin