Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,909   Posts: 1,521,565   Online: 787

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Zorki 4.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post

In terms of you low speeds, you know how to set the dial, after winding, etc?
    Yes, I know that I should never change the shutter speeds before winding the film.
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by elekm View Post
    The Fed isn't the equal of a German camera when it comes to fit and finish, but they're reasonably well made and seem to be very durable.
    About 10 years ago I traded an Olympus XA and some cash for a pristine Zorki 4. It lasted 24 hours. I still miss the XA ...
    David
    Taking pictures is easy. Making photographs is hard.

http://www.behance.net/silverdarkroom
    http://silverdarkroom.wordpress.com

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I ve heard the Jupiter 8 is a good lens. I have used this cam and lens a few times and have been impressed with it. The serial on my camera is 73003194
    Last edited by Dave Wooten; 10-11-2008 at 10:12 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown View Post
    About 10 years ago I traded an Olympus XA and some cash for a pristine Zorki 4. It lasted 24 hours. I still miss the XA ...
    I would rather have a Olympus XA than my zorki!
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    35mm
    I quite like my Zorki 4K (same as the plain 4 but with a winding lever instead of a knob - just a bit more comfortable for me). I had to have my local repair guy service it, though - the slow speeds worked intermittently, and after he fixed that, the shutter speeds stopped engaging at all after a random winding of the lever.

He told me to be very gentle with it after that Seems to work OK now, though. The Jupiter-8 is a fine lens (I use its cousin the 85mm Jupiter-9 in M42 mount on a regular basis), but for general shooting I prefer the somewhat sharper Industar 61 L/D. If you plan to shoot a lot of portrait-style shots, the slight softness and the bokeh of the J-8 might be preferable to you (if you shoot portraits with a 50mm lens - personal preference, but I prefer an 85mm focal length for that).
    i can't wait to take a picture of my thumb with this beautiful camera.

- phirehouse, after buying a camera in the classifieds

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    To be honest, I never liked my Zorki4. I bought it to find out if I really like rangefinders. Due to the quirks (it worked somewhat reliably after several selfmade cla's but many speeds, esp. the slower, were always off) I couldn't find an answer. I found the answer when I bought a Leica M2 and the Jupiter 8 started to shine on this camera.
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have a Zorki6 and love it. Very easy to use and robust. I did have Oleg run his over it tho.

Shooter
    35mm
    Just the other day someone asked me what is a Zorki for? I said a Zorki is for when the batteries are pooped out on your Nikon F5. It is also useful when the thousand words you wish to speak would benefit from being cyrillically enhanced and you are just plain sick and tired of speaking with Kanji characters...better it might be if you were to learn a bit of German.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Hey Marko -

It's pretty easy to relube those lenses. There's a fellow (Brian) here sometimes and over at the RFF posting as Lenshacker that has some posted web material on doing that, as well as other things to them.

His step-by-step instruction got me through re-collimating a J-3 for a Leica body and relubing the same lens while I was in there.

You may be very pleasantly surprized with the results from it, enough to rethink wanting the XA instead! Wish I remembered saving the links.

Jo (whose J-3 is sharp and contrasty enough for me to forget about a Summarit....also stops down to 22, as opposed to 16)
    Last edited by jolefler; 10-12-2008 at 04:58 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: the normal dumbass mistakes

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Here in Afghanistan there are Zorkis - and Feds, Kievs and Holgas, etc. - in abundance (which is strange considering you can't find anyplace that develops film).

I've handled quite a few of them, as I expected to buy one as a souvenir of my time here. They are not very impressive cameras. I have yet to find one that I'd spend the $70 the sellers ask - and asking $70 means they'll take $35, but if you barter, you've got to buy so I don't haggle.

Jeff M

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin