Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,921   Posts: 1,522,096   Online: 717

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Zorki 4.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Zorki 4.

Hey guys, I got a zorki 4.
    Seems like a great camera, other than speeds under 125th are not working. I got it with a jupiter 8 lens! It seems like a nice city/with friends camera, though I normally use the Nikon F5 for that.

Anything I should know about this camera? What do you guys think of it?
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Don't give away your Nikon F5 quite yet.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I know. Its a lot faster and stronger. I wouldn't even trade it for a bessa R4.
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Anscojohn View Post
    Don't give away your Nikon F5 quite yet.
    So few words, so much sense.

Well OK, it isn't the greatest camera ever made, but if you happen to have a good one then it certainly has a future on the street. The great thing about the Zorki and other FSU cameras is that they are cheap enough to be "almost" disposable, so you can get in close for the really good shot without worrying about the camera.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Marko,
    I agree with Peter Black; not so much as a throwaway, but one you can afford to lose if set upon by a bunch of rabid Leicaphiles whilst you are doing street shooting .
    A friend shot a Zorki 4 he had bought used in London--shot it for years. The focussing of the prime lens got a bit stiff; but it was more than useable. He picked up a Zeiss Orthometer WA--an F4.5 that was really sharp; and also used a 90 mm Elmar on it. When he made the transition to an M Leica, he used all those lenses on it with an adapter.
    I have a FED 3. All those Soviet-built cameras aimed at the more sophisticated shooters among the New Soviet Man do a decent job.
    Which lens does your Zorki 4 have on it?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    It has a Jupiter 8 50mm F2. The lens gets easier to focus the more I use it. The weird thing is, the resistance of turning the lens changes depending on where its focused.
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Markok765 View Post
    It has a Jupiter 8 50mm F2. The lens gets easier to focus the more I use it. The weird thing is, the resistance of turning the lens changes depending on where its focused.
    Probably an indication the focussing mount has some "dry" spots. Keep using it, perhaps the lube will spread itself back to where it is supposed to be.
    If you have a good example, the lens can be very sharp. Be sure to use a lens hood.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    What will happen without a hood? Is this lens bad with flare?
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Markok765 View Post
    Hey guys, I got a zorki 4.
    Seems like a great camera, other than speeds under 125th are not working. I got it with a jupiter 8 lens! It seems like a nice city/with friends camera, though I normally use the Nikon F5 for that.

Anything I should know about this camera? What do you guys think of it?
    Did you see this related thread? http://www.apug.org/forums/forum65/47489-zorki-4-a.html

I like my Zorki. With glasses on, though, the viewfinder becomes only a 'rangefinder peephole' and I would like to get a separate viewfinder for it some day.

In terms of you low speeds, you know how to set the dial, after winding, etc?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    It seemed that for a while, the price of Soviet cameras was on the rise, sometimes going past $100. But with the economy reeling, maybe that will change.

I bought a nice Kiev for $40, which is just about my limit for a Kiev. I also have a Fed -- nice camera.

The Fed isn't the equal of a German camera when it comes to fit and finish, but they're reasonably well made and seem to be very durable. My Kiev seems to be nearly the equal of the Contax II in terms of quality of construction, and I think the viewfinder/rangefinder is slightly better.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin