Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,934   Posts: 1,557,037   Online: 1241

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Francis in VT View Post
    Ross is correct in saying the cocking lever should be assisted when using 1/500 sec.

Don't push too far -- otherwise you'll engage the self-timer. Not a big deal, but you'll be wondering why the shutter didn't release. Meanwhile, the self-timer will be happily buzzing away. And just when you decide to take a look at the camera, it will release and you'll have a nice out-of-focus shot of your chin!

By the way, here are a couple of photos from the Prominent. The Ultron is really a sweet lens.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I am hunting for one of these inside my budget for a while.
    I being left handed, left everything, except brained love the Voitlanders ergonomics generally .. I was amazed at the quality of lens even on the wee VITO B with Colour Skopar I have ... Seeing Elekm's pictures with the f-stop attached just made me want a Prominent all the more. !
    Simplicius

"defying gravity since 1898"

My Flickr Account

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a Vito B as well, it's actually a really good compact 35mm. I sent it to Carol Flutot for a CLA and it is SUPER smooth and fun to use!
    --------------------
    "Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it." -Paul Strand

www.glasskeyphoto.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The lenses are the best available from the 1950s. The bodies are not. But they are fun to use, more quirks than a Barnack Leica. It is worth reading the manual. The shutter has two sets of blades, and one set was stuck on mine. A LOT of floof cleaning solved the problem. BUT- the camera worked fine with just the one set of shutter blades operating.

Calibrating the RF can be a pain.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have had a Voigtlander Prominent with a 50/3.5 Skopar for a number of years. I use it regularly and absolutely love it. But then I must admit I am left-eye dominant and the quircky focussing works just fine for me.
    -- Hilton --
    www.thelightstuff.blogspot.com
    Tips and tutorials and mainly photographic musings!

Shooter
    35mm
    Mike, those are absolutely beautiful images!!
    -- Hilton --

Quote Originally Posted by elekm View Post
    Many of Voigtlander's cameras had quirky ergonomics, and the Prominent is among them.

The left-handed focus by knob is a popular Voigtlander feature. And advancing the film when the shutter is set to 1/500 requires a huge amount of effort.

But I think it's best if you handle the camera and come to your own conclusion.

If I recall, there should be a 35mm Skoparex and a 100mm Dynarex. The Voigtlander lenses were quite good.
    Let us not forget the f1.5 Nokton
    Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I guess I lucked out. I got a Prominent I with a 50mm Nokton, a 35 Skoparon, a 150 Super-Dynaron, a 35-100 viewfinder with the 150 mask, the close up lenses and some other stuff for $45. Of course, then I was obligated to find a 100 Dynaron which cost me more than everything else. Then, I got a minty Prominent I Type II with another Nokton and another Skoparon for $95.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dang! Where do you shop for cameras???
    --------------------
    "Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it." -Paul Strand

www.glasskeyphoto.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Awesome, Outwest! Be sure to post some pictures.
    -- Hilton --

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin