Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,568   Posts: 1,573,487   Online: 839

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Physics math...

Shooter
    35mm

Physics math...

I'm going to be selling my old book for a class entitled "Advanced Mathematics for Physicists and Engineers" I'm hoping to get about $90 for it. I plan on spending $40 of that on film (at least). Any suggestions on a fixed lens rangefinder I could get for the remaining $50 (assuming it sells of course). I'm just looking for a walking around camera that has a good amount of control without prompting questions like "Are you a professional?" or "Wow how many mega pixels is that?" basically something that people won't notice when I really don't want to be noticed with my camera. (I wouldn't mind questions like "How old is that?" or perhaps "WTF??? You're still using film!!!!" so much).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Any of the Canonet series might work for you. They made RF's in various aperatures, with various metering.

A Yashica Electro might work. Semi-auto aperature priority

An Olympus XA would be stealthy enough, too....probably my best suggestion with the guidelines that you've noted.

Jo

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    From APUG recommendations, affordability and availability, I just bought a Canon GIII QL17. I shot/developed 2 rolls of Neopan 400 and I am impressed. I'll probably post the shots on arigram's bicycle thread, since they were taken while riding, sample below.

Apologies for the dust, this was a quick scan.
    Neopan 400; 1/500; f16 (or thereabouts)

Terry
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bike2Work016.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Iwagoshi View Post
    From APUG recommendations, affordability and availability, I just bought a Canon GIII QL17. I shot/developed 2 rolls of Neopan 400 and I am impressed. I'll probably post the shots on arigram's bicycle thread, since they were taken while riding, sample below.

Apologies for the dust, this was a quick scan.
    Neopan 400; 1/500; f16 (or thereabouts)

Terry
    Pretty damn good I'd say while riding. I am sure you were paying attention to the road but as long as you can avoid that maniac in the car on the wrong side of the road, I'd switch to the left where it's safer.

All the sensible Aussies and Kiwis will tell you the same thing - just you watch.

pentaxuser

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm
    Are there any other types of rangefinder I should be looking at?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A Canon QL17 or Yashica Electro 35 would be a good option. I believe the Canon has better manual overrides available to the user, although I am more than happy with my Yashica that I got for $5. There is a Canon for sale in the APUG classifieds right now. It needs light seals and is WAY overpriced, but if the seller is aware of the current market, he or she should come down quite a bit (about 75% or more due to the repairs needed). It's worth a shot. If not, then EBay or local thrift shops.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 10-18-2008 at 07:37 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    Pretty damn good I'd say while riding. I am sure you were paying attention to the road but as long as you can avoid that maniac in the car on the wrong side of the road, I'd switch to the left where it's safer.

All the sensible Aussies and Kiwis will tell you the same thing - just you watch.

pentaxuser

pentaxuser

PU,
    How about I just flip the negative?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Duh...How could I totally neglect to mention a Kodak Retina II or IIa? They are total sleepers, and cheap as dirt. I have two that I got for free, and now I don't even mind that my Leica IIIc is busted. They are not as purdy or slick as the IIIc, but for all intents and purposes are comparable, and about 1/10 the price.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    Any particular reason (other than the weird rangefinder that the Agfa Karat 36 would be a bad choice? I ask because there is one on the local craigslist.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The Retina IIa rarely sells for less than $50, especially if it's been overhauled.

In the $50 price range:

-- The Olympus 35 RC is a nice little camera that has autoexposure, as well as manual exposure.

-- A couple of goofy little cameras are the Super Baldina and the Super Baldamatic.

-- Agfa has the Super Solinette.

-- Konica has the Konica C35, a rangefinder with program-type autoexposure but no manual exposure controls. The Konica S and S2 get rave reviews from those who own them. And before that, there is the Konica I and Konica II, which should be in your price range. The Konica III sells for significantly more.

-- The Voigtlander CLR and Vitomatic IIb can be found for about $50.

This is really the tip of the iceberg. There are probably hundreds of cameras that might fit your budget.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin