Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,872   Posts: 1,583,467   Online: 1121

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    My Leica IIIc, which by chance I have used to shoot most of my favorite 35mm photos over the years, needs work. Shots show a blown out line running vertically through the frame, indicating that the second curtain does not close all the way. They also show horizontal streaks from the above-mentioned vertical line to the edge of the frame, indicating that the gap remains when advancing the film.

I took it in to Steve's Camera in Culver City, CA, which is the normal repair shop on which I have settled. He is reputed to have a lot of knowledge on these cameras.

Steve checked out the camera and gave me an estimate. The camera needs a CLA and new shutter curtains. The parts are $150. Labor is $235. Additionally, a CLA on my Summitar would be $125 labor. The lens service is not absolutely needed, but it does have a relatively big hair in it and the aperture ring is a bit stiff, especially in cool weather.
    You will not want to send your camera to England, but I have 12 Leicas (equal numbers of screw-thread rangefinder, M rangefinder and R), most of which have been serviced by Newton Ellis & Co. of Liverpool, and every time a CLA without parts but sometimes with reconditioning of shutter curtains has cost me around £125 ($200 at the present exchange rate). Cost of rangefinder overhaul, with resilvering, about the same if necessary. Leicas are cheap in the same way that Mercedes autos are, purchase prices and servicing are expensive, but the products last a long time, so the operating cost per year is quite reasonable. Other APUG threads in the past have noted that people who service Leicas cheaper than above tend to cut corners by flushing mechanisms without dismantling, etc. Lens cleaning in particular is highly cost-effective, once mold starts, it can really spread fast if left untreated.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    KEH did a great job on my Leica CL, a difficult camera to work on. Jammed shutter, repaired and CLA for $150.

Youxin Ye replaced the beamsplitter and CLA'd three of my Barnack cameras, CLA'd two others, and repaired and CLA'd my M2. All are working perfectly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Vic View Post
    Youxin Ye
    He "CLAed" my IIIf and less than a year later it had to be completely redone. I would not use him again.
    Those who know, shoot film

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by IloveTLRs View Post
    He "CLAed" my IIIf and less than a year later it had to be completely redone. I would not use him again.
    He CLA'd ?????? my IIIf RD. Upon return the camera was dripping oil and the curtains were oil saturated. I returned the camera and told him to fix it right. He then tried to charge me for new curtains. A month after getting the camera back the slow speeds quit..

A friend recently got his IIIc back from oil can Ye and found the clutch had been greased. This part isn't supposed to be lubed..

I'll never do business with him again..
    Leicarfcam aka Colyn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lens_hacker View Post
    KEH did a great job on my Leica CL, a difficult camera to work on. Jammed shutter, repaired and CLA for $150.
    Not to diminish KEH, but just as info, Sherry Krauter is the authority on the CL. IIRC, she was the person that Leica sent out to train the authorized Leica repair staff on CL maintenance and repair when it was issued as a new model.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by leicarfcam View Post

A friend recently got his IIIc back from oil can Ye and found the clutch had been greased. This part isn't supposed to be lubed..

Same here. Seen a Leica M3 'fixed' by Mr Ye. Its shutter jammed about 3 weeks after the camera returned. Sending it back wasn't a feasible option since the cost of sending the M3 from and to, and back again, the Philippines was quite high. Mr Ye even took - and did not even offset its cost against the total charge- a large strip of shutter curtain material which the M3's owner sent along with the camera as possible replacement for the old curtains.

Mr Ye said that the curtains were not suitable since they were for the III series Leicas. The strip was good to make perhaps three or four complete shutters. They're probably going or are already in the Barnack types he's serviced, and charged for it.

As for the M3, the owner decided to send it to a good Leica repair shop in Hongkong (much closer to Manila) instead.
    FED ZORKI SURVIVAL SITE
    RANGEFINDERFILIPINAS
    Zorkikat.Com

"不管黑猫白猫能抓到老鼠就是好猫。" 邓小平
    It doesn't matter if a cat is black or white, so long as it catches mice.-邓小平

Shooter
    Holga
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by leicarfcam View Post
    He CLA'd ?????? my IIIf RD. Upon return the camera was dripping oil and the curtains were oil saturated. I returned the camera and told him to fix it right. He then tried to charge me for new curtains. A month after getting the camera back the slow speeds quit..

I'm very sorry to hear about your problems with Youxin, esp w. a IIIfRD.
    These are some pretty serious mistakes.
    Meanwhile the 2 IIIa's he fixed for me (1 in '99 and 1 in '02) are still operating perfectly, slow speeds and all..???
    Holga: if it was any more analog, you'd need a chisel.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the replies, and thanks to the moderator for fixing that mistake. I am gonna try Steve and see what happens. I don't have a trust issue so much as I wanted to make sure that the price was not out of line. I normally pay $150 to $175 for an overhaul. Adding a shutter curtain replacement for an additional $100 labor is probably as reasonable as I will find. $150 for a few strips of vulcanized material seems crazy, but what the hell else am I going to do?
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 11-01-2008 at 04:02 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I highly recommend Eddy Smolov. His rates are super low while his expert work is superb.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Well, I checked all of the cameras that Youxon Ye repaired, all are working and none show any signs of oil seeping where it should not. They are all operating correctly. Several were jammed when sent to him. Youxin is not the only repair facility that I've used, I've used Essex, KEH, Strauss, and Nikon. I will not send another Leica to Essex, two jammed within a year of being repaired there. I was disappointed in Strauss, returned a Nikon P&S camera that was under warranty as "not having a problem" when the autofocus was way off and test photos were included. Nikon fixed it under warranty.

And I doubt anyone else will replace a beamsplitter and CLA a Leica for $100.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin