Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,687   Posts: 1,548,622   Online: 1194

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    <-- Another satisfied Sherry Krauter customer.

Sherry cleaned and repaired the shutter on my
    Leica II, recovered it with new leather, and brought
    back an impossible Summar back from the dead to
    near-pristine condition. (It had weird milky blotches
    on the front element and local NYC shops refused to
    touch it.) She's the best.

Sanders

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    Thanks for the replies, and thanks to the moderator for fixing that mistake. I am gonna try Steve and see what happens. I don't have a trust issue so much as I wanted to make sure that the price was not out of line. I normally pay $150 to $175 for an overhaul. Adding a shutter curtain replacement for an additional $100 labor is probably as reasonable as I will find. $150 for a few strips of vulcanized material seems crazy, but what the hell else am I going to do?
    $150 for shutter cloth? How much would the charge for the straps be?
    And $150-175 for the service?

Leica repairs are truly expensive. The latest Leica I have (came in about April this year) cost only $150. It wasn't working right, but a few squirts of lubricant and lighter fluid in the right places restored it.

I have a junker IIIf now, with some missing parts. I plan to find some replacements and restore it. Did the same about 5 years ago to a 'scrap' IIIc, which now is a fine shooter.

I have some DIY shutter cloth here, similar to what I installed in the IIIc. This material is what I've been using for all the shutters in the Zorki and FED I fix. If you want, I can send you some, gratis. That is, if the service centre would use them.
    FED ZORKI SURVIVAL SITE
    RANGEFINDERFILIPINAS
    Zorkikat.Com

"不管黑猫白猫能抓到老鼠就是好猫。" 邓小平
    It doesn't matter if a cat is black or white, so long as it catches mice.-邓小平

Shooter
    Large Format
    Just had a nicca Barnack CLA'd, pinholes in the shutter cloth repaired and a lens cleaning $100 at Camtech. Truly you should consider them. They trained at Sheridan college cut their teeth on rangefinders.
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    35mm
    If John Maddox (L & J Leica repair) is still in business, I can highly recommend him. He did great work on my IIIc about 5 years ago. I would consider him Sherry Krauter's equal on screwmount Leica's. I believe he does only screwmounts, no M cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by raid amin View Post
    I highly recommend Eddy Smolov. His rates are super low while his expert work is superb.
    I will second Eddy ( 123camerarepair@gmail.com ). I haven't sent him any Barnack bodies, but I have sent him a Pentacon 6 TL and a Yashicamat, both within the past two months.

Both came back working like new, rapid turn around, and very reasonably priced.

Michael
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin