Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,710   Posts: 1,482,927   Online: 1023

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Where have you got your Barnack repaired and what did it cost?

[Moderator's note: Typo in title corrected.]

Hello,

My Leica IIIc, which by chance I have used to shoot most of my favorite 35mm photos over the years, needs work. Shots show a blown out line running vertically through the frame, indicating that the second curtain does not close all the way. They also show horizontal streaks from the above-mentioned vertical line to the edge of the frame, indicating that the gap remains when advancing the film.

I took it in to Steve's Camera in Culver City, CA, which is the normal repair shop on which I have settled. He is reputed to have a lot of knowledge on these cameras.

Steve checked out the camera and gave me an estimate. The camera needs a CLA and new shutter curtains. The parts are $150. Labor is $235. Additionally, a CLA on my Summitar would be $125 labor. The lens service is not absolutely needed, but it does have a relatively big hair in it and the aperture ring is a bit stiff, especially in cool weather.

I would like to know a few things.

1. Have any of you ever used Steve's Camera for Barnack Leica repairs/service? What were your experiences?

2. Does this quote seem in line with other quality Barnack Leica repairs/service? The quote on the lens definitely seems high, considering it is in much better shape than the Canon FD lens they overhauled for $45, and much easier to service. It just needs to be cleaned and lubricated. I am also leery of spending $150 for parts that are obviously going to be used. How will he make sure the parts aren't going to go south overnight like mine did?

3. There are a few other recommended repair people. Krauter was the last name of one of them, and the other was in Canada, I believe, and may have been three initials (DAG?). I also want to hear experiences and prices at these two places.

Thank you in advance!
    Last edited by David A. Goldfarb; 10-26-2008 at 05:53 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

My personal choice for Leica repair is Sherry Krauter
    Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Let's see, It's a Leica therefore you must be loaded. I haven't repaired cameras for $$$ for a while but when I was in the biz the Brand demanded a premium price for service. Just like that Swedish brand. Not for any reason other than ADP(additional dealer profit).
    Repairing the lens is easier than most because there are NO linkages to deal with and are quite simple.
    The body is equally simple to deal with as long as no parts are broken. It's very common for a technician to make new curtains for one of these things rather than buying them.
    DAG & Sherri Krauter both have excellent reputations. I believe Sherri's business name is "Golden touch" I don't know if Steve's prices are out of line or not, but you will pay a premium for the label "Leica"
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Layne View Post
    My personal choice for Leica repair is Sherry Krauter
    Mark
    Can you give any info on what you've had done and what it cost you? Have you used the equipment heavily since? It's not a necklace. I need it to work perfectly, as it did for the 57 years before it broke. I shot an average of 75 - 100 rolls a year through the camera, plus or minus.

John, I know what you are saying is true. I just want to see how close these estimates are to being in line with others working on the same cameras, so I can pick a repair person and start budgeting for the fix. The camera and lens together cost me $225 in near mint cosmetic condition, and I used it heavily for years before it went south, not mentioning whatever use was put on it in the half century before I got it. The glass and lens body are literally in near perfect condition. Kind of hard to spend over $500 in repairs on a cheap camera, but you gots to do what you gots to do. I am just making sure I am not getting *overly* gouged, and looking for a line on other options.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 10-26-2008 at 06:03 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Camtech Photographic services won't charge you extra for different brands>
    http://www.camtechphoto.com/
    Regards
    Bill
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    [Moderator's note: Typo in title corrected.]

Hello,

I took it in to Steve's Camera in Culver City, CA, which is the normal repair shop on which I have settled. He is reputed to have a lot of knowledge on these cameras.

Steve checked out the camera and gave me an estimate. The camera needs a CLA and new shutter curtains. The parts are $150. Labor is $235. Additionally, a CLA on my Summitar would be $125 labor. The lens service is not absolutely needed, but it does have a relatively big hair in it and the aperture ring is a bit stiff, especially in cool weather.
    I've never used Steve's but that price sounds reasonable. DAG is around $280 for a CLA and I believe Sherry is close.

Avoid oil can Ye!!!
    Leicarfcam aka Colyn

Shooter
    Holga
    Images
    Youxin Ye
    Email wye7@yahoo.com
    Location 16 Fairview Rd
    Canton, MA 02021-1720, USA
    tel: (781) 830-9141

Honest guy, does great work. It's been some time since I've been in touch but I hear he's still out there and bringing them back from the dead.
    Holga: if it was any more analog, you'd need a chisel.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Vic View Post
    Youxin Ye
    Email wye7@yahoo.com
    Location 16 Fairview Rd
    Canton, MA 02021-1720, USA
    tel: (781) 830-9141

Honest guy, does great work. It's been some time since I've been in touch but I hear he's still out there and bringing them back from the dead.
    i brought my m3 to him.
    he reskinned it with the original leather -
    cla'd the camera and 3 lenses ..
    he is honest, and does good work.

john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    DAG is Don A. Goldberg. He's in Wisconsin, not Canada.

http://www.dagcamera.com/

His prices are very reasonable and his work is excellent. He'll give you a non-binding estimate on typical CLA and repairs. Both Don and Sherry are Leica factory trained with decades of experience.

Lee

Shooter
    Large Format
    since you're in the area, you might also check with Pro Camera Service in Thousand Oaks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin