Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,068   Online: 727

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

In Praise of Ilford UK Processing

I must give praise where praise is due. I have had 6 rolls of film processed by Ilford using their pre paid envelopes during this summer. 5 FP4 and 1 HP5 and the results have been really exemplary. They were all taken using the manufacturers recommended asa setting dialed into the back of my M6's. OK they take about 10 days to come back but that is good practice for my patience and it is about the same time span as Kodachrome 64.
    "Sharpness is a Bourgeois Concept"-H.Cartier-Bresson

Regards Kenneth

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Cool.

Where'd you get the envelopes? I'm at a place where there is no local developing and would love to have some stuff processed.

Will they also scan the negs to disc?

Thanks and let me know.

Jeff M

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We were shown the facility on the recent factory tour and saw prints, they really were excellent and the packaging/storage boxes are a real bonus.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I got prints back from a roll of 120 HP5+ today. I have to concur with Kenneth. This is a service I will definitely be using again.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    35mm
    This is only speculation but having seen the facility at Ilford as have other respondents, I wonder if there is a chicken and egg situation that may be hindering turn around to an extent. Ilford's problem may be that if it invests too much in terms of experienced staff and/or machines to speed up turnaround, it risks losing money.

Once it can be sure of a certain amount of business on a regular basis, it can afford to invest more. I inferred from what Simon Galley said that the service is there to promote the taking and processing of B&W film and prints and provide a service to trad users and not designed to make money. It will never be a big income stream in relation to Ilford's main business streams. However it hardly makes sense for the service to be a drain on revenue.

If I were a busy B&W photog with little time for the processing and printing, I'd have no hesitation in using it. If I had to describe the service in one word it would be PROFESSIONAL.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I too wholeheartedly agree.. years ago when I first tried their service the quality really inspired me to keep shooting B&W and eventually to my own.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I too wholeheartedly agree.. years ago when I first tried their service the quality really inspired me to keep shooting B&W and eventually to my own.
    Was this a previous service ILFORD offered? I thought the current offering had not long been available.

Tom.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I know Ilford say they'll process other manufacturers' bw films, but will they process something like Maco or Rollei IR?

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I worked in Jessops about 6 years ago, we had the Ilford pre-paid mailers then, my girlfriend who also worked there, started way before I did, is sure that she saw them when she started and that was 10 years ago.

So yes, been around a while..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin