Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,749   Posts: 1,483,778   Online: 802

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Yashica Minister D

Just got this little gem from epay. What a beautiful little camera. Greatly overshadowed by the Electro 35's, but deserving of much praise...

Russ
    Last edited by b1bmsgt; 11-04-2008 at 01:01 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: forgot to sign my name
    R.L. Sisco
    MSgt, USAF, Retired

Do you have an
    Electro 35 or other
    Yashica that you
    would like Refurbished?
    Check out:
    www.camerarefurb.com

My Gallery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Somewhere I still have one, great lenses. I remember a school friend with one, I think we were 11 or 12 - quite upmarket cameras at the time.

The Electro 35's were just a step better for less advanced users having automatic shutters.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm RF
    This camera as well as the Yashica Lynx series were and still are excellent cameras. I have a good working Lynx 1000.
    Leicarfcam aka Colyn

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries

Yashica Minister D Shutter

My shutter is stuck closed on my 99 cent Yashica Minister D. Must I take lenses off to get at the shutter?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Well, it's indeed a really nice camera and you will love that Yashinon, delivers contrasty and vivid images.

My first ever camera was my grandfather's Yashica J from 1961 (your Minister D came out in 1964), I still have it and it's working like a Swiss clock, I've paid 2 years ago, a considerable amount of money just to have it completely serviced, actually, I end up paying 12 times more the market value of the camera, to have it serviced.

Anyway, great cameras indeed, solid, reliable and with great optics, have fun!

André

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    My shutter is stuck closed on my 99 cent Yashica Minister D. Must I take lenses off to get at the shutter?
    Yes you must. If you take the front lens element out, you can apply a small amount of ronsonol (lighter fluid) to the now exposed blades of the shutter. In a large number of cases this will immediately free up the shutter. Keep winding and firing the shutter as the fluid evaporates. It works best when you have a can of air, which you can use to help dry things out. Once there is no visible wetness, set the shutter to B to hold it open and gently clean the now exposed front of the rear lens element (opening the aperture fully) with a cotton bud (Q-tip) as there will probably be a film on it from the shutter cleaning. I usually just breathe on the lens and gently wipe. Set the camera on its film door and let the lighter fluid evaporate for a day or two WITHOUT the front lens element installed. This works for me in almost every case, although it's possible that you may need to do this a couple of times before the effect is permanent. I have had no adverse effects using this method, which I have used on rangefinders, TLR's, folders. etc.

If this method has no effect, then there is probably a more serious mechanical problem which would require more in depth surgery.

Hope this helps...

Russ
    Last edited by b1bmsgt; 11-12-2008 at 06:58 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    R.L. Sisco
    MSgt, USAF, Retired

Do you have an
    Electro 35 or other
    Yashica that you
    would like Refurbished?
    Check out:
    www.camerarefurb.com

My Gallery

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries

Big Lens Rangefinders

Does the Yashica Lynx have the biggest lens of all the Japanese Rangefinders?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    As far as I can tell, the Lynx f1.4 lens is the fastest lens on any rangefinder. It's also pretty big (and heavy!)

Russ
    R.L. Sisco
    MSgt, USAF, Retired

Do you have an
    Electro 35 or other
    Yashica that you
    would like Refurbished?
    Check out:
    www.camerarefurb.com

My Gallery

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries

Leather

I make things out of scraps of leather from pants and coats. I see that you have a red leather camera.

Is the leather simply glued on, or do the edges of the leather go under the metal parts? How thin should the leather be? Would garment leather be too thick? I understand that the original vinyl and glue must be completely removed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzie Place View Post
    Does the Yashica Lynx have the biggest lens of all the Japanese Rangefinders?
    No an f0.95 lens was available for the Canon rangefinders

I think garment leather is usually too thick to re-cover most cameras.

Ian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin