Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,867   Posts: 1,583,285   Online: 1118

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    I seldom use SLR's so my walk around cameras are mostly my Leica screw mount cameras as well as a M3..
    Leicarfcam aka Colyn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

I'm in....

with the RF walk-around crowd. A Leica II, which is about the same as your Russian model, Marko. I even use an FSU J3 lens on it, though it's been tweaked out. Faster, easier focusing for these old eyes....something you won't have to worry about for decades, kid!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    sunny 16 is pretty easy if you take the time to master 16-9
    few days at most before have a solid handle on it -and this is only like a few hours of actual study-
    (have to wait for different times of day and different weather)

I picked up my Zorki 4K to go out at sunrise this morning ..not that there is much to shoot but it was a nice sunrise
    It jammed or was jammed
    I got pissed and swore off russian RF's
    Messed with it for a bit
    the wind lever was stuck and shutter release didn't do anything
    fiddled with the rewind/wind settings .. didn't work
    Tried self-timer which didn't work
    changing speeds didn't work
    Then found out I could actuate wind lever if held down shutter release but lever still had no effect on curtains ..just a free movement that was stopped as soon as let shutter release go
    Tried pulling/pushing on curtains which isn't a good idea and didn't work, anyway

Held down shutter release and actuated wind lever to "full cocked" position
    Held the two in position
    push/pulled on shutter curtain (thumb on film side and forefinger through lens mount opening)
    FWAP!

Not jammed anymore
    :victory:

Could be of use to those with jammed shutters

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Non-metered alternatives

Just a thought on working a manual camera without a meter, Marko.

For $2 or so you can pick up an old copy of one of the Kodak Guides to Photography. They're a pocket sized booklet (heavily bound for durability) that travels with you easier than any meter. Inside you'll find exposure recommendations for outdoor and indoor photos under various conditions with any speed film. Also, they have a wealth of info on flash, filters, DOF and anything else you may want to know about . A terrific investment at the price and NO batteries required!

Jo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well Marko, my usual walk about camera is a Zorki 1. I have a couple Zorki 4s but they kept jamming when I was doing rewinds. The film would rewind but then I couldn't get the next roll of film to advance. Screwy. Someone told me a secret for setting the little ring around the shutter release. Worked like a champ after that.. but by then I have gotten addicted to the Zorki 1 with it's Industar 50mm collapsible lens. That's a nice camera.

Of course, when I really need the shot, the FM2 comes along instead.

Get a meter.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by k_jupiter View Post
    Well Marko, my usual walk about camera is a Zorki 1. I have a couple Zorki 4s but they kept jamming when I was doing rewinds. The film would rewind but then I couldn't get the next roll of film to advance. Screwy. Someone told me a secret for setting the little ring around the shutter release. Worked like a champ after that.. but by then I have gotten addicted to the Zorki 1 with it's Industar 50mm collapsible lens. That's a nice camera.

Of course, when I really need the shot, the FM2 comes along instead.

Get a meter.

tim in san jose
    I have a meter! It's just too large for carrying with a RF. I also need to get a CLA done on the camera as the speeds under 1/60th, the 2nd shutter curtain doesn't close until you wind. I'll try to shoot for a week with just the Zorki and my head as a meter.
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a few FSU rangefinders and I think they are great cameras. BIG bang for the buck. I have a Zorki-5 first version, Fed-2 first version and a few others that I don't really use. They are great small cameras combined with an I-50 or I-10 collapsible lens. I have a bunch of other rangefinders including Leica as well. The following was taken with the Zorki-5 and an I-50 on the Colorado river, where I wouldn't want to take anything expensive since I was wake boarding that weekend.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    hey marko

i wish i had your zorki, its a great camera!
    my uncle picked one up for my cousin years ago
    when he was working in the FSU. he got a few lenses for it too.

my walk around camera ... i have a few of them. one is a pen ft and the other is a graflex slr.
    i have been using the 4x5 graflex for the most part as my main camera ... but it is hard to point and shoot
    out the window of a speeding car, that is when i use the ft ( and sometimes a m3 ).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    hey marko

i wish i had your zorki, its a great camera!
    my uncle picked one up for my cousin years ago
    when he was working in the FSU. he got a few lenses for it too.

my walk around camera ... i have a few of them. one is a pen ft and the other is a graflex slr.
    i have been using the 4x5 graflex for the most part as my main camera ... but it is hard to point and shoot
    out the window of a speeding car, that is when i use the ft ( and sometimes a m3 ).
    j

got to tell you... my 3x4 graflex slr is one great walkabout camera. preset the shutter speed, focus, stop down, shoot, cock shutter, wind film, do it again (unless you are using 3x4 sheet film)...

I have heard the pen ft and half frames are both great cameras for on the spot shooting. I have taken an XA out once or twice, nice little range finders also.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use a Bessa R2A with a Canon 50/1.8 LTM lens, works perfectly for everyday photography. I've been considering something like an old zorki though, just for the fun of learning to guess exposures a bit better.
    A Nikon FM2n is my secondary walk-about camera.
    The Analogue Laboratory, or 'so you built a darkroom in an old factory in the industrial zone'.
    Blog thing!.

Worry less. Photograph more.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin