Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,856   Posts: 1,583,024   Online: 956

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleath View Post
    I use a Bessa R2A with a Canon 50/1.8 LTM lens, works perfectly for everyday photography. I've been considering something like an old zorki though, just for the fun of learning to guess exposures a bit better.
    A Nikon FM2n is my secondary walk-about camera.
    Have you had problems with the Bessa rangefinder going out of alignment? I've noticed that a few people have reported it, and it seems like a good excuse for getting the new Zeiss Ikon.
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by k_jupiter View Post
    j

got to tell you... my 3x4 graflex slr is one great walkabout camera. preset the shutter speed, focus, stop down, shoot, cock shutter, wind film, do it again (unless you are using 3x4 sheet film)...

I have heard the pen ft and half frames are both great cameras for on the spot shooting. I have taken an XA out once or twice, nice little range finders also.

tim in san jose
    yep, those graflex slr's are the best!
    it is amazing how well balanced they are
    and easy to use even the big ones ..
    i've adapted a 2x3 roll film adapter to my 4x5
    ( nothing you can't do with masking tape ) and
    use the big clunker that way too ... the penft
    is pretty cool --- a small, compact, slr
    so one doesn't need to deal with zone focusing
    i am REALLY bad at that ...

- john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    yep, those graflex slr's are the best!
    it is amazing how well balanced they are
    and easy to use even the big ones ..
    i've adapted a 2x3 roll film adapter to my 4x5
    ( nothing you can't do with masking tape ) and
    use the big clunker that way too ... the penft
    is pretty cool --- a small, compact, slr
    so one doesn't need to deal with zone focusing
    i am REALLY bad at that ...

- john
    Ah yeah. I have one of those rare 2x3 roll film holders on a graflex 3x4 mount. No tape necessary. Since I have only 4 graflex 3x4 double sides, I use them up on tripod, then pull the camera off and shoot "high speed" hand held with the roll film back.

tim
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K View Post
    Voigtlander Vito CLR. I like the Vito for its near silent leaf shutter.
    I visited my father at the weekend and discovered that he had bought a Vito B and a Vito BL. I was amazed at the small size and high build quality of these. So much so that today I bid and won a Vito B and a Vitomatic II. I look forward to these turning up in the post soon.

The CLR seems to be similarly specified to the Vitomatic. Just a little bit more modern. I believe they both have the Color-Skopar 2.8-50 lens.

Steve.
    Last edited by Steve Smith; 11-17-2008 at 05:46 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    I used to keep my Zorki IV in the glove box of my truck, using it as an all-around, readily-accessible camera. No need to worry about batteries dying (especially in the cold weather), and the shutter speeds don't seem to be much affected by climate. And if the vehicle got broken into and the camera stolen (luckily that never happened), no great loss.

I found it a great exercise for one's skills to learn to meter by eye. The Zorki seems to have came up with a high percentage of "good" shots; perhaps the simplicity of the mechanical design, coupled with the see-through viewfinder, makes the camera transparent to the picture-taking process.

For shooting with B/W film, you can help yourself by learning to do semi-stand (or compensating) development. This will help to somewhat even out exposure differences between one frame and the next, which can easily happen when your exposures are estimated.

One tip to operating the Zorki: don't attempt to change the shutter speed setting unless you've first cocked the shutter. This is rule #1 with this camera!

~Joe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chazzy View Post
    Have you had problems with the Bessa rangefinder going out of alignment? I've noticed that a few people have reported it, and it seems like a good excuse for getting the new Zeiss Ikon.
    I heard similar reports. That's why my heart sank when the camera strap caught on a draw handle as I picked it up off my desk, and the thing dropped on our wood floor with a thunk. The lens was dented, but the rangefinder stayed in perfect alignment it seems, so I dont have any reason to be worried. In Australia the distributor provides a 2 year warranty as well, which helped convince me.
    The Analogue Laboratory, or 'so you built a darkroom in an old factory in the industrial zone'.
    Blog thing!.

Worry less. Photograph more.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    My Zorki shutter and lens focusing did not work almost at all [i actually screwed the lens off the camera trying to focus it] and it was only -5C! My F5 wouldn't have problems like this!
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    For about 20 years or so now my walk around camera has been a Fuji 645 with a 60mm lens. It's a very small camera for the negative size, and being a rangefinder, is very light and easy to use. I've always preferred a RF to an SLR because of the size, quietness, and ability to view the scene directly rather than on a ground glass. The Fuji's 60mm lens is very sharp, but not fast (only f:4).

I recently got a FED 5, which so far is checking out pretty good. If it lives up to my hopes I expect to be buying another from the same dealer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Markok765 View Post
    My Zorki shutter and lens focusing did not work almost at all [i actually screwed the lens off the camera trying to focus it] and it was only -5C! My F5 wouldn't have problems like this!
    Wait until your F5 is 50 years old....

Anyway, no fair complaining about a camera which is clearly in need of a service!

A properly CLA'd Zorky 4, especially if an earlier one - pre-1970's (see serial number) can be a very smooth and reliable machine.

Also, there are *many* tiny light meters made which will fit on the accessory shoe. Not only Gossen, but many others as well (Kodalux & Bewi come to mind in the tiny category).

I use a Kodalux L, which is accurate, rounded, does both reflected and incident readings, needs no batteries and measures 3.5 x 2.8 x 2 cm (just slightly larger than half a plastic 35mm film container)... Small enough?
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin