Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,247   Posts: 1,660,179   Online: 831

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

What I use my RF [Zorki 4] for

I use this camera as a camera for when I am just walking around taking photos. It is manual focus, and I have to estimate the exposure, so it's not really reliable for every day photography. The shutter speeds also do not work really below 1/60, so it is not really good for indoor.

Do you use your RF as a main camera? Is it a better camera than the Zorki? Something like a bessa/leica with a meter?
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Markok765 View Post
    I use this camera as a camera for when I am just walking around taking photos. It is manual focus, and I have to estimate the exposure, so it's not really reliable for every day photography. The shutter speeds also do not work really below 1/60, so it is not really good for indoor.

Do you use your RF as a main camera? Is it a better camera than the Zorki? Something like a bessa/leica with a meter?
    Marko, did you know you can get a little meter that fits the shoe on top of your camera?

I use a rangefinder for my walking around camera. It's a "brick"
    That's just, like, my opinion, man...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    Marko, did you know you can get a little meter that fits the shoe on top of your camera?

I use a rangefinder for my walking around camera. It's a "brick"
    Yeah, Gossen I think. I don't have money for one currently though

A small RF is nice for walkaround, I agree. If I had a newer RF [leica M mount] I would use it for a camera that is always with me. Right now, the Nikon F5 fills that. It's durable and reliable, if a bit large.
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Right now, the Nikon F5 fills that. It's durable and reliable, if a bit large.
    calling the Nikon F5 "a bit large" is like saying New York City is "a bit large".

My favorite walk around cameras are all RF's.

My favorite two would have to be the Leica M5 or the Minolta CLE, which is a VERY small RF. The M5 is considered a rather large RF (about the same size as a Nikon F without the prism), but compared to the F5 it's tiny.

They sell Zorki's and other Russian cameras over here (Afghanistan), but all the ones I've seen are very "well used" (read: dirty and beat up) and they're asking more than I'd probably give for a new-ish looking one.

For an SLR walk 'round setup, I use a Minolta XG series camera with winder. It's a small, light combination that coupled with a 28mm lens is perfect for a day at the park or the museum. I had the 28mm, f/3.5 and recently got a 28mm, f/2.0. It's light, the Rokkor glass produces amazing images and if something happens to it, I'm out practically nothing.

Jeff M

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I use a Zorki 6 a lot with an Industar 61 lens. This seems quite sharp and with B&W film I either use 'sunny 16 rule' [in summer] or else a hand-held meter that you can pick up for next to nothing. Nice little camera - small, compact and usable.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    My favourite walk around camera (at the moment) looks like a rangefinder but isn't. It's a Kodak Retinette 1b. It has a built in lightmeter which is accurate but I tend to estimate using the sunny 16 rule instead.

This camera is scale focus and has click stops in various distances on the focus scale. At these positions it also shows the depth of field extents in red for f16.

I really like this camera and if it had a rangefinder it would be perfect. That's why I'm bidding on a Retina Automatic III which has both lightmeter and rangefinder!

Other than that I have a Yashica J and a Balda Baldina in 35mm and an Ansco Speedex Super R which is a 6x6 folder with un-coupled rangefinder. This is also a good carry around camera and is not really any bigger than the 35mm cameras.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format

RFs I have in the bag most of the time, as a walk-around type of sorts. Several types, including Zorki.
    Yes, there are better RF than Zorki 4 and they are also Zorki. The other models like the Zorki (1) and Zorki-5 or 6 are very good reliable cameras.

They can shoot as good as an equivalent Leica. Don't ask how I am able to say this, but I sometimes have a Leica SM on hand and I couldn't really tell the shots it made from those which came from the Zorki.
    FED ZORKI SURVIVAL SITE
    RANGEFINDERFILIPINAS
    Zorkikat.Com

"不管黑猫白猫能抓到老鼠就是好猫。" 邓小平
    It doesn't matter if a cat is black or white, so long as it catches mice.-邓小平

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Is it a better camera than the Zorki?
    No, its a Zorki 4 also

Although one thing that limits my enjoyment of that camera is that I only see a 90mm equivalent view with my glasses on. You really need to have your eye right up against the viewfinder to see the whole frame. But viewfinders are overrated anyway for walking around on the street I don't always use it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My every day camera is a Cosina Bessa R3M, or a Voigtlander Vito CLR. I like the Vito for its near silent leaf shutter.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    35mm
    I use this camera as a camera for when I am just walking around taking photos. It is manual focus, and I have to estimate the exposure, so it's not really reliable for every day photography.
    If by "everyday photography" you mean "street" shooting outside, why not? Unless you have something like heavy clouds followed by bright sun, or you're going from sun-to-shade and back quite a bit, the light value isn't going to vary a lot mid-morning to mid-afternoon. So, you can either use Sunny 16 as previously mentioned, or take a handheld meter reading and set-it-and-forget-it (eg, set the aperture and shutter speed, and either set the lens to the hyperfocal distance for your aperture, or pick a general distance like 10 ft/3 meters if your subjects are generally that far away).

I do this sometimes with a FED-2 with FED-50, or a Zorki 4k with Industar-61. Admittedly I do like my Konica Auto S2 a lot for this, which does have a meter.
    i can't wait to take a picture of my thumb with this beautiful camera.

- phirehouse, after buying a camera in the classifieds

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin