Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,229   Posts: 1,532,854   Online: 990

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ASPH

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I tested my Candadian second version of the 90mm Summicron against my 90mm ASPH and under 7x magnification, could not tell the difference. The Canadian lens is a beautiful chrome, probably the most physically attractive lens i own. The ASPH version is black, is smaller, weighs less.
    I certainly agree that the Canadian versions are as good as German versions.-Dick

Shooter
    35mm
    German lenses go for slightly higher prices. Quality is the same. On a used item condition is always paramount.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have a German 35mm Summicron asph which is superb. I also have a latest edition German 50mm Summicron non Asph also brilliant. Can I tell a difference? I will let you know when I shoot some Kodachrome and project them with my Leica Pradovit 300 + 90mm Colourplan. HP5 negs viewed through my Leica 5 x Loupe do not show discernable difference
    "Sharpness is a Bourgeois Concept"-H.Cartier-Bresson

Regards Kenneth

Shooter
    35mm
    I own the 35 asph and the result is extremely good. They are fine details in high keys and low keys compared with non-asph but it's all about details. And sure it depends on the quality your lab supplies. I have one Canada-made 90mm Elmarit and I agree with other members, the Canadian lenses should be as good as the German made.
    However, there was that issue back in the 1980s about Leica cameras made in Canada that were rates as "not equivalent" to Wetzlar-made cameras. Indeed, some M4 and MP cameras assembled in Canada experienced some troubles that had been unknown before. I don't think Canadian workers at the Leica plant had to be blamed but that was a time when Leica tried to cut costs, also in factory operations...
    The same issue was raised when R cameras built in Portugal were said to be below standards. While that criticism might have been over-emphasized, it is quite interesting to note that Leica plants outside Germany were eventually closed down...
    Nikon lenses and cameras Made in Thailand suffer the same bad reputation.Whether this is true or false depends on everyone's own experience with this equipment.
    :rolleyes:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin